CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help - Trunk Won't Open 1999 CLK430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK430
Unhappy Help - Trunk Won't Open 1999 CLK430

I can't open the trunk -- Any suggestions?
1. The remote doesn't open it.
2. The trunk release button inside the car won't open it.
3. The metal key won't open it from the trunk key slot. The button that is part of the key slot pushes in like it normally does when it is locked.
4. I checked "Fuse #7" in the engine compartment and it is fine.
5. The back seats are "clicked in" so I can't get in through there.

ARRGGGHH!! Any ideas?????
Old 02-22-2002, 10:24 AM

2000 CLK430
Trunk Problem

I had the same problem a few days ago. I called Tech support at MBUSA, and they really had no solution other than explaining to me how to open the trunk with the metal key, which is tricky. I ended up fixing it myself. Here is what you do.

1. Use your metal key. It is kind of tricky but wiggle it in the slot, turn it to the left before pushing it in. Once it turns (you must lign it up perfectly in order to get it to turn before pushing it in) then push the key in and the truck should pop open.

2. There are plastic plugs (about 4 or 6 of them) on the top trunk liner. These are 2 part plugs that can beremoved with a flat head screw driver.

3. Once you remove these plugs, pull the liner down so that the area behind the top of the latch is exposed.

4. Behind the latch there are cables/wires with spade connections that control the solenoid. Make sure that all of these connections are plugged in properly and nothing is loose.

5. With the truck open, and the smart key in hand, hold the trunk button down and listen for the solenoid to activate. If it does, the it is fixed. If not, keep playing with the connections behind the latch.

I found this happened to me after my friend slammed the trunk closed. Good luck. If you have any questions, email me.

David
Old 02-22-2002, 10:48 AM

2002 Capri Blue CLK Cab
Angry Damn Trunk

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has had this problem..I had to disconnect my battery and then I closed the trunk. BIG mistake, I couldn't open the trunk with the remote (no battery power) or the switch inside the car. I tried with the damn little key but it wouldn't work and when I called Mercedes then were absolutely no help. They were going to send a tech out to try it in about 8 hrs. After jiggling that tiny key for 30 mins it finally worked....what a pain.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:03 AM

1999 CLK430
Cool Thanks!!!

It worked exactly as you described!! Thank you very much for your on the point advice!

Brian
Old 12-06-2008, 12:34 AM

2002 CLK430
This worked for me also. Sorry for the pun, but the "key" to this is to insert the key all the way in and wiggle it counter clockwise. Once when you got it turned, then push in. The electronic opener only works intermitantly. I'm going to spray some white grease on it tomorrow to see if i can get it to work all the time.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 AM

2002 CLK430
Grease worked. It opens up with my remote every time now.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 AMG cabriolet
My trunk has been intermittent for a year. Some days it works, other days it don't. I think the Yugo had a better trunk lock....
Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 PM

2000 Mercedes CLK 430AMG
Opening A Locked Mercedes CLK430 Trunk

I have a 2000 CLK430 AMG Convertible and the top wouldn't go down...Also, the trunk was locked and wouldn't open with the electronic key, mechanical key or interior button...No shop in the Raleigh, NC area or locksmith would help except the MB dealership for hunderds of dollars with no guarntees...I'd read on this forum that a possible culprit was the plastic luggage proctector in the trunk that has to be in place to engage a switch to make these systems work...
Long story short, I purchased a $4.00 titanium drill bit from Lowe's and drilled out the trunk lock cylinder. Then, I used a medium sized flathead screw-driver to turn the remaining mechanism counter-clockwise and the trunk popped open...Sure enough, the plastic piece had fell to the trunk floor. I put it back in place, replaced my trunk lock with one I had from a 1997 E320 and everything works great!!!! So, for $4.00, a little time to drill out the lock and install a used replacement from another vehicle all is well...This works and is not hard or time consuming to do...Hope this helps someone else...Good luck!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM

w208 200k coupe
Smile boot stuck nightmare

Having founf my boot stuck I followed the driections given to drop the seats I found taking out the first aid tray made it easier. Once in the boot I saw it was the light switch button had got jammed and was making the car think that the boot was actually open. One good tap with a heavy bar put it bcak in place and noe the boot works fine. Thanks for all the suggestions to fix it.

Jon O'H
Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Clk 55 AMG
I' ve tried the metal key thing over and over and over and I still cant get it to work. any other suggestions as to how to open this dang blane trunk? ( I started to take it down a ditch cattycorner) Thank you in advance.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
Originally Posted by $wagnificent
I' ve tried the metal key thing over and over and over and I still cant get it to work. any other suggestions as to how to open this dang blane trunk? ( I started to take it down a ditch cattycorner) Thank you in advance.
Try crawling in through the back seat.
If all else fails, call a locksmith.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by $wagnificent
A few more details are needed - how do you normally open the trunk? Is the battery dead? If so, have you attached jumpers to the hot lead under the hood to open the trunk? As an aside, don't try and start it from there.

Lastly, you may want to use the metal key to open the trunk whenever a B service is performed (along with all the other items that are supposed to be checked). The reason the key won't work now may be due to it not having been used in a very long time.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM

W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
I'd recommend greasing the key before putting it in the trunk lock. The car is ~12 years old and the trunk lock might have never been used. Generously dab grease on the tip of the key and run it in and out of the slot.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:19 PM

2000 CLK430 Coupe
2000 CLK430 locked out of trunk

I lubed the lock wiggled and jiggled the key till it broke in the lock, tried removing the seat, tried accessing the pull wire through the first aid compartment, and finally drilled out the lock. :-( still the trunk is locked tight! The locksmith told me $175 to open the trunk but destroy the lock at the same time. A lock on ebay just over $100, dealer wants $350. What's left? Now with the lock drilled out and no key what now?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by crevine1
I lubed the lock wiggled and jiggled the key till it broke in the lock, tried removing the seat, tried accessing the pull wire through the first aid compartment, and finally drilled out the lock. :-( still the trunk is locked tight! The locksmith told me $175 to open the trunk but destroy the lock at the same time. A lock on ebay just over $100, dealer wants $350. What's left? Now with the lock drilled out and no key what now?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had an issue with a locked trunk a couple months ago and finally figured out a solution for Convertibles, but unfortunately not for coupes. Here is a link so you can have a detailed explanation of how the locking mechanism works. Unfortunately, as you've figured out, drilling the lock does no good.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post6418579
Old 07-04-2015, 02:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 Mercedes clk430
For the coupe push out the first aid kit and pull on one of the wires that open the seat crawl in the back and pull on the wire that opens the trunk it should have some plastic piece on it take it off and it should open up
Old 07-04-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
From your description a "new" lock is probably needed
Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 Mercedes clk430
You shouldn't cause all your doing is going through the trunk and pulling on the wire on the trunk so kinda in a way bypassing it to open I'll send a video I've had to do it a few times on my Benz and others and havent broken one yet
Old 05-22-2018, 10:50 PM

2002 CLK320 Convertible
Trunk Won’t Open 2002 CLK 320 W8 - Problem Solved

Battery was dead. Trunk wouldn’t open with interior console flip switch, wouldn’t open with key fob, wouldn’t open with metal blade key from inside of key fob. Tried using the blade key with powdered graphite, tried several times, over the course of several days to no avail. Local locksmiths wouldn’t even attempt to drill the trunk lock. So here’s what I did and it worked for me.
1. remove your rear license plate
2. mark a spot on your trunk that is one inch above the trunk lock AND one inch to the left of the trunk lock. The spot should be DIAGONALLY up and to the left of your trunk lock.
3. use a 1 1/4 inch saw drill bit.
4. drill a hole in the trunk.
5. put masking tape over the spot to prevent the saw drill bit from sliding when you start to drill.
6. inside the hole you will see a brass / copper colored horizontal pin about 1/8 of an inch long. Touch the brass / copper colored pin and your trunk will open.
7. replace your battery.
8. it’s an extreme solution but if it’s your only choice, it will work and your license plate will cover the hole nicely when you re-attach your license plate to your trunk.