CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

It has begun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Nice project. Its fun to do these kind of things. Let me know if you have any questions.

You have to swap oil pans if you get a motor from some of the other chassis
yes you are absolutly correct about the oil pan. i will take you up on that offer for help. I'm trying to decided if its worthed to have the intake manifold ported and polished. my main concern is that i want power but i want the car to be a smooth daily driver. any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
few updates. I painted the valve covers and the top of the intake manifold in wrinkled satin black, cleaned all the injectors and cleaned and polished the fuel rail. enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails It has begun-photo_1.jpg   It has begun-photo_4.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
HI Ash,

I was going to port and polish my intake manifold but after doing some research found that it isn't as simple as it seems.

Below is an extract of a Guy asking how much to do the job....

"I believe shardul has a connection for 2.5-3K dep on what you get done.
Mine were in that ballpark range through MW back when I was dealing with them.

The price sounds high, but it's not as simple as local porting guy guessing on where to remove material...... I hear Shardul's heads have some serious r/d behind them..... flowbench etc..... so you know what your are getting."

Interesting Huh!

I ended up doing an EGR delete.

It keeps the maifold clean and no more hot exhaust gas going inside too!

Ps, how filled with gunk was your mani? Mine was very dirty, I would be suprised if it worked effficiently!

Last edited by Pauljay; 07-27-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by VIPclk320
yes you are absolutly correct about the oil pan. i will take you up on that offer for help. I'm trying to decided if its worthed to have the intake manifold ported and polished. my main concern is that i want power but i want the car to be a smooth daily driver. any ideas would be appreciated.
If it were my car I wouldn't mess with intake manifold. Hey some Kleemann headers and install before you put engine in instead because its a pain to install in the car. Then save up for a used Kleemann SC
Originally Posted by Pauljay
HI Ash,

I was going to port and polish my intake manifold but after doing some research found that it isn't as simple as it seems.

The price sounds high, but it's not as simple as local porting guy guessing on where to remove material...... I hear Shardul's heads have some serious r/d behind them..... flowbench etc..... so you know what your are getting."

Interesting Huh!

Ps, how filled with gunk was your mani? Mine was very dirty, I would be suprised if it worked effficiently!
You are talking about heads, that's different than intake manifold. Plus you can get better port and polished heads for less money.

When you delete the egr you will get a cel
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
HI Ash,

Interesting Huh!

Thanks Paul, yes my intake Mani was very oily so I used carb cleaner to clean it as best as I could and I'm just letting it for for a few days before I put it back on. As far as the EGR I know our cars are coded different than yours for example you probably don't have the fan for te cats or a the bunch of the shut off valves for the as tank because euro models don't require those but CA requires every single thing and the MEs are coded for those. So I'm not sure if deleting the EGR is an option for me.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
If it were my car I wouldn't mess with intake manifold. Hey some Kleemann headers and install before you put engine in instead because its a pain to install in the car. Then save up for a used Kleemann SC

I did some more research and your right it's not worthed, I was looking at these headers on eBay from top speed they are $400 but not sure about performance results but tey look very well made, also Keenan doesn't carry anymore headers for the 208. Now here is question for you what do you recommend to do, delete the secondary cats and make them removable and reinstall able for smog purposes(install flanges and gaskets so I can pop them on every other year for smog) or go with race cats? Keep in mind mine is a daily driver. Also if I do delete the secondary ats should I do an X pipe or just straight?

You are talking about heads, that's different than intake manifold. Plus you can get better port and polished heads for less money.

When you delete the egr you will get a cel
Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 AM

Hi Blackbenzz,

Yes, sorry my extract posted was about heads, I missed out the bit about the mani!

The Guy talking was getting both done.

Ash,

You're right about my ECU coding being different, I don't get any of the codes you Guys seem to have.

Have you thought about Phelonic spacers? I looked over here but was impatient as I couldn't get them and wanted my car back on the road so didn't order them abroad.

Also I think you should delete primary cats and put secondary cats in for the smog test. Race cats won't pass so it's best to be safe unless you know someone.

You've a true dual exhaust so I would go with an X-pipe, res delete and 3in from 2nd cats.

Last edited by Pauljay; 07-28-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Hi Blackbenzz,

Yes, sorry my extract posted was about heads, I missed out the bit about the mani!

The Guy talking was getting both done.

Ash,

You're right about my ECU coding being different, I don't get any of the codes you Guys seem to have.

Have you thought about Phelonic spacers? I looked over here but was impatient as I couldn't get them and wanted my car back on the road so didn't order them abroad.

Also I think you should delete primary cats and put secondary cats in for the smog test. Race cats won't pass so it's best to be safe unless you know someone.

You've a true dual exhaust so I would go with an X-pipe, res delete and 3in from 2nd cats.
Thanks for the info Paul. I'm they ing to keep my primaries and delete the secondaries but not a permanent delete, I'm going to have flanges welded to the end of the cats and the x pipe and the piping on the car, tho way every other year when smog time comes if I can't find a "connection" to get the car smoged I can just on bolt the x pipe and bolt the secondaries on. Also another reason why I don't want to get rid of the primaries is excuse I don't want to mess with the location of the O2 sensors. The only concern that I have is that once I do the secondary cat delete and 3" pipe from the second cats back and resonator delet, I may loose too much back pressure and have a less torquey low end and actually slow down my acceleration! What are your thought on that? Everyone else please feel free to chime in.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 AM

You're right in losing some back pressure with a 3in exhaust but the loss will help you in the high end. Also installing an X-pipe will give you some of that low end loss back.

Depending on tyres is how well you get off the line.

I have a set up which runs 2.5in from headers to 2nd race cats (primary cat delete), 2.5in gradual Y-pipe exiting to 3in, then 3in to outlet of twin custom back box. I've lost some low down torque but gained in mid and upper revs. I can still spin the tyres from a stop (285/30/19) and she's plenty fast even though I still need a tune.

Last edited by Pauljay; 08-03-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Does less back pressure always result in a loss of low end torque
Mercedes does not use Primary CATS in all countries, Japan being one of them.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:38 AM

Yes. Back pressure gives you torque.

Less gives mores power, but too much and you won't have enough.

Our engines need torque to get our heavy cars moving and power to speed up and maintain acceleration.

Exhausts are very complicated to get your system tuned right. If the exhaust diameter is smaller that would create back pressure also, the same way going larger will lose it. It's all about the flow rate of gas, how hot it gets and pressure waves.

Last edited by Pauljay; 08-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
been very busy with work but here is a few updates. the engine is fully put back together with all new seals, plugs, wires, coils, vaccum and coolant hoses, water pump, egr, shut off valves cleaned up, gaskets, altenator, powers teering pump and resevor and tones of other stuff and valve covers powder coated and intake manifold painted. next step is to install the EVO sport UD pullies and drop the engine in.

Custom gutted and piped C63 air boxes
Attached Thumbnails It has begun-1.jpg   It has begun-2.jpg   It has begun-3.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Im diggin on the air box. That should set off your paint work nicely and help with the heat transfer and breathing. Looking forward to how all that comes together and what fab work you do to make it clean
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Thanks Bobby, I'm having it painted orange as we speak so i'll post pics once its done.

received a few goodies such as the new fuel pump and fuel filter and some other hoses and clamps.

also got the evo sport UD pullies thanks to Jose at evo sport and will be picking up their short tubes once its in stock in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails It has begun-photo_2.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Are those proper headers or log style? Gotta be getting close now!!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
They are shorties bobby. But I saw the dyno results and they have some nice gains.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:21 AM

Ash what's the significance with the '63 air box? I had good results with your CAI how come you're not using your one? Are you building a 'Needs Wings' type dual filter?

Good work on the motor, it looks great. Throw some of Evosports Phelonic Spacers on there while the motors still out!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Ash what's the significance with the '63 air box? I had good results with your CAI how come you're not using your one? Are you building a 'Needs Wings' type dual filter?

Good work on the motor, it looks great. Throw some of Evosports Phelonic Spacers on there while the motors still out!
What's up Paul, I'm doing something like the one you mentioned. I don't have anymore of the intake setups and the one on my car is for the 320 so I'm gonna utilize the 63 boxes and my piping to do something like you mentioned, pretty similar but even less restricted. As for the spacers I was actually gonna go pickup a set next week, do you have them? How do they effect the running temps? I'm also a bit worried that it might create leak issues on the intake manifold side. And pointers will be great.

P.S. I'm headed to UK next July for 1.5 week for holiday, Ill give you the details via e-mail.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w208 CLK430, w212 E350, w221 S550
ASH!!!! i saw your car at Santana Row last night but i forgot my phone at home, i hung around to see if you would come back but it was a bit early around 930 when i was heading out so figured you werent leaving anytime soon. You car looks great btw
Old 08-26-2012, 04:26 AM

Ash, I don't have the spacers yet but will get some. I haven't heard/read anything about leaks so I don't think you're going to get problems there.

The spacers don't offer anymore power but will keep your car running stronger for longer (they're supposed to lower temps a good deal) 55 motors in the CLK suffer a lot from heat soak.

It'll be great to catch up with you and meet you in person! Give me your details nearer the time and it'll definately happen.

How's it going with the retro paddle shift? That's definately something I'd do.

Your new air set-up should net good results. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Pauljay; 08-26-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by sonnyhoang
ASH!!!! i saw your car at Santana Row last night but i forgot my phone at home, i hung around to see if you would come back but it was a bit early around 930 when i was heading out so figured you werent leaving anytime soon. You car looks great btw
What's up bro, are you in so cal? where is Santana Row? Is this Friday night?

Ash, I don't have the spacers yet but will get some. I haven't heard/read anything about leaks so I don't think you're going to get problems there.

The spacers don't offer anymore power but will keep your car running stronger for longer (they're supposed to lower temps a good deal) 55 motors in the CLK suffer a lot from heat soak.

It'll be great to catch up with you and meet you in person! Give me your details nearer the time and it'll definately happen.

How's it going with the retro paddle shift? That's definately something I'd do.

Your new air set-up should net good results. Keep up the good work!
I'm stopping by evo sport on Monday to pickup a set of those spacers from Jose, very nice and helpful gent. He said the same thing that it will help with the cooling. Im headed to Japan in two weeks and will get to hang with William but after we get back I'm booking the flight to UK as I have some old friends and family there that I haven't seen in a very long time. And me and my wife have been wanting to go there for a while now, I was gonna do it this year but the Olympics just made it insane so we decided to delay it to next year. As soon as I book the tickets and everything I'll shoot you an email to give you the details. I'm hoping I can catch a Manchester united and a Chelsea game while I'm there. Lol I know you probably hate one or the other. Lol

The Paddle shift retro is done, I'll send you an email with the details, I just have to buy a module which is very cheap and maybe if we both get it at the same time we can get a a good discount. The company is in California near me so I can get them and ship it to you straight.

Last edited by VIPclk320; 08-26-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
He Paul I forgot to ask in the last post, the spacers will raise te intake manifold by about 1/4", now that means that the injectors are also raised by 1/4", wouldnt that mess with their spray distance or pattern, because they are sitting as deep as they can possibly go on the manifold already and there is no room to push them down further. So I'm concerned with rough idle and everything and mainly reliability because my car is my daily driver and I take long distance tips in it and I need it to be reliable.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Ash,

I think the ECU should compensate for the fuelling and air. I have read a little on the spacers and no-one has mentioned rough idle or mis-fires. Ask Evosport when you get them. One thing no-one has done is a dyno with the results, for some reason it's always been done with other mods included.

Yeah, I'm up for lowering the costs, email me when you're ready.

Yeah you're right on the football, I don't follow it much lately and I never was a Chelsea fan! Man U are Ok, Liverpool was my team. Nowadays I follow motor sports.

The Olympics have gone well so far, I haven't been affected (I live outside of London). Congrats to the States for topping the medals haul!

Last edited by Pauljay; 08-27-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by sonnyhoang
lol, Sonny... I think that was my car, did u c it on the 2nd floor parking lot?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by VIPclk320
He Paul I forgot to ask in the last post, the spacers will raise te intake manifold by about 1/4", now that means that the injectors are also raised by 1/4", wouldnt that mess with their spray distance or pattern, because they are sitting as deep as they can possibly go on the manifold already and there is no room to push them down further. So I'm concerned with rough idle and everything and mainly reliability because my car is my daily driver and I take long distance tips in it and I need it to be reliable.
Hey Ash... I'm with Paul and dont see how you would experience any negative effects. In batch fire SD injection for a v8, the system fires all 4 left or all 4 right depending on the pulse with no negative effects. Our MAF systems are way more forgiving/adaptable. Heck... look at throttle body injection... now those injectors are waaaaay upstream. Those spacers should really help with keeping the fuel charge dence after warm up.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
To Paul:
I forgot to mention Liverpool, but to be honest I've been only following Manchester Red. I'll email you about te paddle hitter and the spacers maybe we can work out a deal with them if we buy at the same time.

Bobby & Paul:
My concern about the spacers are that te injectors will be lifted 1/4" and will be shooting the gas further by tht 1/4", I don't know if that woul effect anything or not buy also another problem is that they don't supply the longer screws for the intake manifold to be installed to the block and I don't know if it's safe to use the same screws since it will be lifted 1/4".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: It has begun