CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk convertible wont open or close

Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK 350 Cab
clk convertible wont open or close

i have a 2000 clk convertible, i recently bought it. The top got stuck on me half way, i ended up forcing it closed and since then it wont work at all. I tried opening it manually and closing it to see if it resets it but that didnt work.

When i release the top the windows go down the light turns red and then when i press the button to let the top down the light stays red for a few seconds and then starts blinking. The roll bar is down but i can't get them to go up with the switch. When i press the button for the rollbar i hear a clicking sound coming from the back but thats about it.

What should i do? i really am trying to avoid the dealer cause of there ridiculousness prices. please help
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK Cabriolet 320
Hi There, I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't sound good, I take it the head rests don't move at all and no motor sound, it could be a failed relay £7 I had the same thing happen (it still clicked), if its not the relay could be the motor and they aren't cheap,

If it was me the first thing I would do is replace the relay, and then get the roof codes read (will save a lot of time) and motor tested,

Assuming the roof is fully closed and all locked the key here is the head rests not working as they are separate to the roof,
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 AM

clk 230k 6-speed cabriolet
Hi,
Recently I went over a big pot-hole in the road and the rear head rests / roll bar shot up and stayed in the up position. All that happened was a clicking noise when you tried to lower them. I tried putting the roof down and it froze part way. After messing a bout pressing the buttons up and down the roof started to work again and the head rest went back down. I'd try going through the process of trying that 1st, also make sure all your safety switches for the roof operating are engaged, i.e. the boot lid shut switch and the boot / roof separator cover switch engaged. I wouldn't start messing with any relays / electrics just yet until you can prove they're faulty.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 AM

2003 CLK 320 Cabrio
I agree with Andy11UK. I would try replacing the relay. It's a bit of a pain to get to (not difficult, but time consuming) as you'll have to remove the metal plate covering the pump, etc.. There's an identical relay (fuel pump I think) located near the battery that you can swap out to test it.

One other point: Is the light flashing slowly or quickly? Quick flashing light indicates that the trunk isn't closed or the cover isn't in place (the one that catches the soft top when lowered), and slow flashing indicates a system fault. If a system fault, you may save yourself a lot of time by having the code read like Andy11UK also suggests.

If the roll bar has been activated, it can be reset by holding the button up for 8 seconds I believe (the manual has instructions on resetting it).

Finally, I have another thread running right now where I had a similar problem, though in my case the head rests still worked. After resetting everything manually, mine ended up working again.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
may be simple as the convertible mechanism cover is un-snapped in the trunk. This happened to me once, and the top would not function at all.

Good luck mate
Old 08-25-2012, 02:48 AM

2007 CLK 350 Cab
Originally Posted by Andy11UK
Hi There, I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't sound good, I take it the head rests don't move at all and no motor sound, it could be a failed relay £7 I had the same thing happen (it still clicked), if its not the relay could be the motor and they aren't cheap,

If it was me the first thing I would do is replace the relay, and then get the roof codes read (will save a lot of time) and motor tested,

Assuming the roof is fully closed and all locked the key here is the head rests not working as they are separate to the roof,
FIXED! IT WAS THE RELAY!!!
The following users liked this post:
Ramon Rivera B (07-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Thumbs up replace the relay before it gets stuck - DIY instructions attached

Originally Posted by BK627
FIXED! IT WAS THE RELAY!!!
Congratulations!

One remark for folks with the same symptom: on early model years, the relay can also get stuck closed, which is far worse than it not engaging. When the relay gets stuck, your motor will keep running until it burns out. Mercedes does not sell new pumps any more, and "refurbished" ones are about $1800 at this point. Btw, Top Hydraulics rebuilds the pumps for $600 - we usually end up replacing the electric motor.

The following DIY instructions on our website show you how to get access to the pump: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/W208...eplacement.pdf

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
The following users liked this post:
Ramon Rivera B (07-03-2017)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Thanks to joetwa, flot, and Klaus from Top Hydraulics

Just wanted to leave a note thanking all the contributors of the many useful posts on how to troubleshoot and fix the soft top hydraulic system. I just finished repairs on my 2000 CLK430 replacing my leaking rear bow lock cylinder. I purchased "new" rear bow and case cover cylinders from Top Hydraulics using the core exchange option. Removal and installation was very simple thanks to the phenomenally detailed pdf that joetwa authored. I got my new Febi hydraulic fluid from PartsGeek, system is topped off, and the convertible top is functioning again!!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM

2003 CLK430 Cabrio
Klaus is the man - I wouldnt have been able to even think about the repair, let alone writing the instructions guide without his guidance in the first place (and of course flot's original post!)

Happy the guide helped

cheers

Last edited by joetwa; 10-14-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: forgot flot!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:58 PM

2000 CLK 430 Convertible
Hello to all.
I am a very newbie at this threads. Hope I am not violating the rules.
I recently bought a 2000 CLK 430 with a soft top and experiencing the issues as well. Fixing it now is not a priority since it seems I bought a lemon and have lots of problems. For now, I just want to be able to release the hydraulic sustem to open manually for now. Any WIS or diagram available to do this?
Thank you all for your contributions!
Blessings!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Ramon Rivera B
Hello to all.
I am a very newbie at this threads. Hope I am not violating the rules.
I recently bought a 2000 CLK 430 with a soft top and experiencing the issues as well. Fixing it now is not a priority since it seems I bought a lemon and have lots of problems. For now, I just want to be able to release the hydraulic sustem to open manually for now. Any WIS or diagram available to do this?
Thank you all for your contributions!
Blessings!
Ramon, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of information / help to sort out any problems with the recent purchase of your 2000 CLK 430 cabriolet.

You can close or open the power roof manually.

The procedure is described in detail, in the Practical Hints section, of your owners manual.

Last edited by Serndipity; 07-03-2017 at 07:00 PM.