CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

searched all over rollbar not lowering after bumps HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK 430
searched all over rollbar not lowering after bumps HELP!!

ok guys I have looked all over and cant find the answer, the w209 has a manual release but not the w208. the top is up so its hard to force it down, even with 2 strong men. i tried pressing the switch for 20 seconds but no luck.
the motor does go up and down put it does not pull the headrest with it.
i could not find a release.. when pressing the switch the motor goes up or down the the two latches release but nothing. I even tried to to push while someone held the switch down....

help please.....
Old 05-16-2013, 05:56 PM

2002 CLK 430
30+ views and no one able to help if im pressing the button up and down and the hear rest motor go up n down this means its not a fuse or relay right?

I tried to manually lower the top but thats a headache on its own...

Again this is a 2002 430 w208 there is no manual release latch as in the w209
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
In the event of crash deployment tensioned springs supply the force to raise the rollbar and the hydraulic system for the rollbar remains passive.

See post #4 at https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...f-problem.html for additional information on rollbar components and operation.

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-18-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM

2002 CLK 430
Thanks for the reply and link, I don't think its the hydraulics that are locked because the motor that raises the bar does work up and down but the bar seeps to be locked some how. I guess i will have to pull everything apart to get to the issue.

Originally Posted by Serndipity
In the event of crash deployment tensioned springs supply the force to raise the rollbar and the hydraulic system for the rollbar remains passive.

See post #4 at https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...f-problem.html for additional information on rollbar components and operation.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
If you read the rollbar theory of operation, during a crash (or severe bumps) the rollbars raise via springs being triggered and independent of the hydraulic system.

The springs are clearly shown in the diagram, are now extended and need to be compressed/reset.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 PM

2002 CLK 430
I appreciate your help, it is impossible to try to push down even with 2 men since there is no clearance with the top on.
im trying to see if i could put the top down so that it would be easy to push while a 3rd person unlocks the switch.

If you read the rollbar theory of operation, during a crash (or severe bumps) the rollbars raise via springs being triggered and independent of the hydraulic system.

The springs are clearly shown in the diagram, are now extended and need to be compressed/reset.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Have you tried pushing down both headrests at the same time?

The reason I mention this is because there is a synchronization shaft, part #30 in the diagram, at the bottom of the assembly, that runs in pinions in a rack on both sides to prevent the rollbar from canting.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 PM

2002 CLK 430
Yes, one is pressing the the down switch to get both side latches to unlock and myself and my other friend are pushing down at the same time with all our strength but its not even moving its locked up good.

Have you tried pushing down both headrests at the same time?

The reason I mention this is because there is a synchronization shaft, part #30 in the diagram, at the bottom of the assembly, that runs in pinions in a rack on both sides to prevent the rollbar from canting.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM

2002 CLK 430
ok, update, i was able to make the headrest move down about 2-3 inches but using a big wrench with leverage but unable to put more force to keep going. this was while the button was pressed down (releasing lock) im going to have to lookup how to manually lower the top because if i can get the top out of the way then it should be alot easier to lower. if anyone has a link to the page that gives u step by step please post, i will start looking
thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM

2002 CLK 430
I may have found the problem.
when you press the up and down switch the the motor goes up and down but it does not pull or push the headrest... I unbolted the whole frame and found that the the point where in lock up yo the piece that has like a goldish bronze ball was off so the motor part that goes up and down was not locking.. i found 4 little silver wheel bearing ***** it looks like the locking thing broke off or disconnected. i tried to push it in but it was not working.. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and report back.

The following users liked this post:
dennisspeaks (05-17-2018)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 PM

2002 CLK 430
ok, got it, when the the car senses a roll it automatically releases the lock and the springs push the bars up. that realize stays open so the little 4 bearing ball don't fall into place in order to lock it again. you must follow the wire behind that motor (i was wandering what that motor was for) unplug it and add 12v to it and hold it. that will cause the motor to engage and open so that the wheel bearing ***** can go in. now use the up and down switch to raise it so that it could go into the housing and then remove the 12v power. this will deactivate the motor and push the bearings out and locking it in place...

ohh and yes this is down when the whole frame out so that you could work in the back..
I will include a tutorial later with pictures cause i know there is no info on this...

yes i know you guys are confused lol
The following 2 users liked this post by tonydr00:
dennisspeaks (05-17-2018), JAMD522 (05-19-2022)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk 430
Roll bar issues, HELP

I see this is an old thread but it sounds like the exact thing I need to figure out.
I too can't budge the roll bar even with the lock pawls manually pressed. Long story....
Can anyone explain this method any clearer. PLS
I have an ongoing thread regarding my issue and this sounds like the best fix yet but it's not clear.
Thanks, Jack
Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Link to Manually Lowering the Rear Rollbar/Headrest Mechanism:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post6588920
Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 PM

2003 clk 430
Great information. Thanks very much.
Jack
Old 10-23-2021, 01:28 AM

208 clk 320
208 clk 320 roll bar reset ..answer

Originally Posted by tonydr00
ok guys I have looked all over and cant find the answer, the w209 has a manual release but not the w208. the top is up so its hard to force it down, even with 2 strong men. i tried pressing the switch for 20 seconds but no luck.
the motor does go up and down put it does not pull the headrest with it.
i could not find a release.. when pressing the switch the motor goes up or down the the two latches release but nothing. I even tried to to push while someone held the switch down....

help please.....
I just had the same problem with my rear Roll Bar was left stuck up ..after I went over a Speed bump too hard in my 208 clk 320
I switched the ignition lights on the dash .. and Pressed Up the rear Head Rest /roll bar Button on Dash ..
Up for 10 Seconds and it worked to Engage the Mechanism fully.. then I pressed Down ..and the Roll bar Retracted back Down = Yay !
Old 12-09-2023, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
One thing I couldn't see here is both Manually Lowering Release Levers, It kinda looks like it's showing one, but doesn't stat what it does and also will do no good to find one as both need to be depressed at the same time for the roll bars to manually lowered. It's Winter time here in Kansas, and I put a new battery in and was resetting the Top and Roll bars when I found myself STUCK in below freezing weather. Top stuck down due to roll bars not going down, thus clearance for top to rise is NOT HAPPEN'N Captain. After weeks of stress and studying and trying to poke at it with a welding stick, I FOUND THIS seeming to be the only video and instructions to manually lower the ROLLBARS on an 208.465. Hope this saves someone else a few gray hairs.
Search YouTube: How to fix Headrest/roll bar on CLK320 w208
: