CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Easy convertible broken cable fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 C230
Easy convertible broken cable fix

So after getting new lines from Klaus for my hydraulic issue and everything hydraulic wise was working great. I'm new to the CLK game so I didn't know how the top should be when opening and closing, but I knew something was wrong when it slams down when closing so after searching the forums and so on I came up with this...

Go to an auto parts store and purchase cable stops. They usually come in a variety pack. Use the smallest one so you don't make the cable too tight. The hole in the smallest one is too small so take a drill to it and make it bigger to accommodate the cable end. The cable that attaches to the front of the car has 3 settings to place the cable...put it at the point which makes the cable the longest...it will give you few mm's of slack that was taken away when the cable stop was added.

Here is a pic of mine when finished. I also use thread locker so it won't come undone. Use pliers to hold(hold it tightly) the cable stop and tighten with a screw driver.

Here is a link to get you started with the procedure. I would go another step further and remove the inner fabric for easy access. Also adjusting the top half way back helps to relieve tension in the line when trying to add the cable stop.
http://www.vette.com/clk430top/

Last edited by Benz916; 03-01-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLA 2000 SLK230
The link provided for the procedure is broken. Please kindly provide me with the procedure as my left tensioner cable is broken from the rear of the frame. The cable is still look good and anchored at the front end. Can the broken cable be refastened for reuse?

Must the roof lining need to be remove to get this fix? The dealer wants $50+ for the cable. The part guy did not know how the cable is fastened to the retainer screw(?). I hope the cable is not rivat to the frame.

Please assist. Thank
Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
This link should answer all of your questions.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...fixed-1-a.html
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLA 2000 SLK230
Originally Posted by Serndipity
This link should answer all of your questions.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...fixed-1-a.html
Awesome! Thank you very much for the link.

I don't have a garage anymore thus I have to wait for the weather to cooperate with me before I can attempt to fix my problem. In addition, city crew is cutting up the pavement in front of my driveway and I have to park the vehicle on the street. Not very convenient to work on this until I can get my car park on my driveway.

Anyhow, will report back on my result.