CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to remove rear view mirror from windshield header?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK430
How to remove rear view mirror from windshield header?

The rear view mirror is loose in my convertible where the mirror connects into the windshield header. How do I remove the whole mirror assembly so I can figure out how to tighten it?

-J
Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 AM

2002 CLK430
so on the vert you need to remove the front plastic trim where the mirror stem meets the windshield. Next remove the light lenses and pull out the 4 crews to lower the overhead console. I found it easier to disconnect it completely. Then take a pair of adjustable pliers and grab the top of the stem and twist 90*

Looking at the mirror I found that the clip that holds the mirror stem to the windshield was stretched a bit. So I took a pair of plires and squeesed closed the clip just a touch. Then reinstalled the mirror by sliding the stem to the mount and turning with the pliers 90* back into position.

No more mirror shake over bumps.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' CLK320 Cabriolet W208
I want to Bump this thread. I have an 03 CLK 320 Cab (208). I've gone through a lot of different threads and have noticed I don't have the plastic trim cover for my rear view mirror & it shakes like crazy, rattles, moves, and over all makes me friggin' crazy!! So...do I have to have the trim piece to stop the rattle or can I just twist it 90*? Also is it 90* clockwise or counter clockwise? I'm about to go postal & there are NO pics to help in the process.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:11 PM

2002 CLK430
It's been so long I don't remember exactly how it came off, but the basics are you grab the top of the shaft where it meets the windshield with a pair of channel locks and twist. What I found was the clamp was stretched out on the mirror causing the vibration. I squeezed the clamp slightly with a pair of needle nose and reinstalled. Worked great except the problem came back about 6 months later. So on my second attempt, I squeezed the clamp and reinstalled, but this time I filled the whole clamp with silicone which basically glued it in place.
Ain't moving now.