CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

can anyone help with window adjustment on a cabrio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK430
can anyone help with window adjustment on a cabrio?

On the passenger side of my cabrio I am having a strange issue with the window alignment. When the top is up, the windows appear to allign properly. I can roll them up and down, and they seal good, and are in alignment. However, with the top down, if I roll up the windows, the front window overlaps the rear window past the molding. No problem I thought, I'm a mechanic in a past life, I can align these no problem. So upon further inspection I notice the rear window is shifted forward a bit from where it should be. I pull the rear trim and get to work. from what I can tell there are two star bolts that hold the regulator assembly that are slotted that should allow fore/aft adjustment. problem is those bolts are maxed out in the rear direction, so I really cant move the regulator assembly any further.

Question is, am I missing something, or can the window itself possibly be adjusted rearward in the regulator itself?

I think I found all of the adjustment bolts, but maybe I'm missing some.

There seem to be two bolts at teh bottom that push the bottom of the regulator in/out. Then there is one toward teh top with an allen screw in the middle that adjusts teh top of the wndow position in/out. Then these three star bolts toward teh top that allow front/rearward adjustment. There are also two 10mm bolts at teh very top toward teh belt molding that are slotted in/out, but those dont seem to do much at all.

Can someone help with adjustment of this rear window? The front window appears properly alligned, but the rear is noticably shifted forward further than the drivers side which is why my focus is there. I'm hoping I'm just missing somehting and the window itself can be adjusted where it attaches to the regulator.

Thoughts?
-J
Old 04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Did you try resynchronizing the windows, with the top in place (i.e. up)?

Basically, this tells each window controller when the window has traveled enough to close properly and then stores the travel limit in memory.

After I replaced my battery this winter, while doing all the required re-synchronizations (e.g. power seats, windows, ESP ), I inadvertently left the driver's door open and as a result, the window traveled to far up, which then interfered door closure. I then closed the window and door, redid the procedure, upon which the controller learned when the window traveled enough to properly close and seal.

The procedure is on page 143 in the owner's manual.

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-20-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK430
i finally figured it out. The window top limit adjuster was in the right place, but the window kept skipping past it. so the two 10mm bolts on the top of the regulator needed to be adjusted toward the outside of the car. now when the regulator hits the top limit it will not skip past the adjuster.