CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How adjust door/window on CLK vert?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport
How adjust door/window on CLK vert?

I've just got a CLK 320 convertible and I noticed that right side (driver's side in this part of the world) window is slightly misaligned with the rear window -- overlaps a bit at the bottom.

Is it the door that needs adjusting or the window or both? My search here yielded the info that the window adjustments are on the bottom of the door. But is there anything more specific -- which ones adjust the window back-to-front vs. height etc?

What about the door?

Thanks!
Byas
Attached Thumbnails How adjust door/window on CLK vert?-img_1115.jpg   How adjust door/window on CLK vert?-img_1116.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
The doors have 3 rubber grommets at the bottom. You pop out the grommets and have access to 3 torx bolts. Turning them very slightly adjusts the window gap. I'm about to do mine. Simple trial and error will fix it. Slightly adjust each one to see what results you have. You can always mark the bolts with a dab of paint before you start to see what your baseline was.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 PM

I'm pretty sure the front bolt adjusts the front gap with frame, rear bolt adjusts rear gap with frame and center bolt adjusts window height. I can confirm this once I do mine this weekend.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:42 AM

2009 C300 Sport
Thanks - will try this weekend as well.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 AM

There are 3 rubber grommets. The center one adjusts the window in or out against the window frame. The other grommets are just entry points to the door panel. The torx bolt is loosened and slid in or out to adjust the window and motor mechanism. Once the window is in the desired position to the frame, re-tighten the bolt and re-install the grommet.

*Please note this is on a '02 w208 CLK55 AMG Coupe. It may be different for cabrios or other model year vehicles.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:12 PM

2009 C300 Sport
I removed the grommet and realized these are the male torx head bolts for which I don't yet have sockets in this size. Will need to go get them.

The adjustment I need to make is the move either the front window forwards (towards the A-pillar) or the rear window backward (towards the C-pilar) to reduce the overlap. The front window looks ok vs. the top frame and the a-pillar, so I'm wondering if I really need to be adjusting the rear window.

Once I get the sockets, I will play with front window adjustments as well, but wondering if anyone else has figured out how to get rid of the overlap.

Thx,
Byas
Old 11-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by bnam
I removed the grommet and realized these are the male torx head bolts for which I don't yet have sockets in this size. Will need to go get them.

The adjustment I need to make is the move either the front window forwards (towards the A-pillar) or the rear window backward (towards the C-pilar) to reduce the overlap. The front window looks ok vs. the top frame and the a-pillar, so I'm wondering if I really need to be adjusting the rear window.

Once I get the sockets, I will play with front window adjustments as well, but wondering if anyone else has figured out how to get rid of the overlap.

Thx,
Byas
With the top down, do the windows line up at the top? The rear windows have a clip that breaks, allowing the rear windows to travel too far up. I cant tell from your pictures but make sure the tops of front and rear windows are even first. The clip is cheap but you need to remove the rear door panel to access. I had my front window contacting the metal part of the rear window weather strip because of the broken clip.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 PM

2009 C300 Sport
Thanks! will check it today.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 AM

2000 CLK Cabrio, 1977 Porsche 924
So what happened

I have a similar problem.
Bought a minor project clk320- just a bid of body work, respray, new pads/rotors/sensors, interior........ You guys understand.
Anyway, I have a gap that was wide to start but now is unlocking the car when i hit a pebble on the road.
Did this work out for you. Which bolt does what? Are torx males able to be manipulated with standard metric sockets?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:27 AM

Clk320 convertible
Re windows adjustment clk320

[QUOTE=bnam;6075496]I've just got a CLK 320 convertible and I noticed that right side (driver's side in this part of the world) window is slightly misaligned with the rear window -- overlaps a bit at the bottom.

Is it the door that needs adjusting or the window or both? My search here yielded the info that the window adjustments are on the bottom of the door. But is there anything more specific -- which ones adjust the window back-to-front vs. height etc?

What about the door?

Thanks!
Byas[/QUOTE
May I say it's a pain to have this happen but you need to find out if it the door or the rear quarter the easiest way first coz taking the door panel can lead you into something else back to simple test get some black tap something like duck tap cut to pease of tap go to the corner of the rear quarter light window while the roof is up stick it to the bottom corner on each side driver and passenger side by the bottom part of the moulding step one then take the roof down completely let it take its course then when all windows are up and roof down check both side you will likely find that the passenger side lands you higher than the drivers side if so then it's the rear window that has to be ajusted I got it right first time never done it before take your time here it comes remover back seat simple remover side panel and by the top of the window you will find a bolt with a Allen key going through the middle that's the ajustment be leave it or not at the top there's a bit of hard rubber that ajust the window but the do ware next st you will have to life the rear quarter out and plan as day a bracket with a bit of rubber that's what wares if your in the UK and get stuck call me on 07882106076 good luck it's not as hard as it sounds you will save about £700 pulse if you go to merc
Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 AM

Clk320 convertible
Go to the the bottom of your question I answer it it in the wrong part sorry if you get stuck call as I said 07882106076 if you have a garage to work in find but if not do it in fine weather
Old 04-14-2024, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 Convertible, Land Rover Discovery 2
im next on this... just replaced rear quarter on my a209 and thats a pretty involved job with a lot of bolts of different sizes... not sure why mercedes decided on that for a convertible... it is what it is... its more enjoyable to do inside a shop than outside on the pavement lol