CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430
Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated

This is not my fix, but is copied from a less clear thread. Solution was devised by the brilliant FALLS PROFET. All credit to him. After my replacement unit went out, I finally found his method. Hopefully, it'll save others some money and headaches.

falls profet: Some things you need:

Plastic to metal Epoxy (or regular Epoxy seems to work)

Tweezers & 2-4 small pieces of metal cut to size (you'll find out below), very fine, tiny paint brush.

First, take a credit card or something that is "soft plastic" and pop off the the fan control button. Behind that, is going to be the the actual piece that pushes the buttons (pictured below).

Now, take a set of small, needle-nose pliers and clamp them down on either the top or bottom of the button. Pull it out...carefully! It's very easy to break this thing in many places. However it will be difficult to pull-out.

Then find out which part is broken. Mine was broken right in the middle of the the prong that pushes the button at the back (look in the opening and you'll see what I mean). If whatever piece that is broken is not still hanging on the the button itself, it should be left in the opening or it's somewhere in the control unit. You may need to take the entire unit out and shake it to find it. It's in there somewhere.

Anyhow, you're basically gluing it back together, and using some thin pieces of metal (or plastic) to act as a tourniquet on both sides of the the plastic arm (pictured below) for reinforcement. Use the paint brush to paint on the Epoxy. Use the tweezers to carefully place them on the button, and let dry. I would suggest doing this to both prongs. Pounding on the button over time is eventually going to break it unless you're very SLOW when using the fan control. Pretty simple.

Yet, you have to be very patient. This is almost like an operation because you're dealing with very delicate, small pieces of plastic.

Look at the pics and you should be able to see what I did. Hope this helps some of you out:
Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-dscn1512.jpg   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-dscn1509.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM

2000 CLK430
I took some pictures to help make his solution a little clearer hopefully.

The first three are of the repair for the FAN button. The last two are for the AUTO button.
Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_7110a.gif   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_7111a.gif   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_7112a.gif   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_2290.jpg   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_7327.jpeg  

Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM

2000 CLK430
After letting the epoxy dry, everything just clips in easily. You can see the reinforcing metal in the pics. Broke the front part of the fan button pulling it off, but the face still attaches easily, so didn't even need to reglue it..
Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_4734.jpeg   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_8863.jpeg   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_5989.jpeg   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_5910.jpeg   Air Conditioner AC Control Panel Fix Illustrated-img_9608.jpeg  

Last edited by tgfny; 07-11-2014 at 11:49 AM.