CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bye Bye Baby!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 187 Likes on 120 Posts
SL 400
Bye Bye Baby!

Been a little tied up with school lately, but wanted to update you that my CLK 430 was totaled today on the highway by a dump truck. Driver said he didn't see me.

Long story short, I'm in slow lane about to take my exit, he is in next lane over to the left, when he attempts to put his dump truck in place of my coupe.

The damaged starts with a tiny buckle where my front fender, and door meet, and then there is pushed in metal, and scrapes all the way back to the rear bumper.

Mirror, driver glass, door, quarter, bumper, rear wheel, suspension, all toast. Adjuster certified it as totaled a little while ago.

Anyway, I really, really loved that car, and was just about finished everything I wanted, or needed to do on it. She will be sorely missed.

Depending on the feedback, and interest in this thread I could post a short video of the car on the highway, and the truck that killed it just after the accident.

About 6k worth of damage so far based on what he could physically see, and he thought the cost would go higher after the car was raised to see underneath.

Be well.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 08-28-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
You're OK and that's what matters. I understand that you love that car and i'm sure that everyone here feels the same way. Everything will be taken care of in time.

Will the car be scrapped or can it be repaired?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
Want to share pics before and after? I hope you get what the car's worth from insurance! Have you considered upgrading to a 55 AMG and transferring parts over?

I love how inexpensive and reliable the w208 CLK55's are. I have friends with B6/B7 S4's and E46 M3's that have had a pretty long list of problems. The W208's (that were maintained well) are about as reliable as you can get from a performance car.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 PM

SL 400
Yes I am fine, not a scratch on me so I am happy about that.The car will be scrapped. I don't have the patience, or time to try and repair it.

Originally Posted by VividRacing
You're OK and that's what matters. I understand that you love that car and i'm sure that everyone here feels the same way. Everything will be taken care of in time.

Will the car be scrapped or can it be repaired?

I will post some pics later tonight, running around taking care of business now, just came home for lunch. The insurance gave me (will give tomorrow) $6,700. Weather or not my car was worth that with all I did to it is not worth debating IMO.

I have thought about the 55 AMG, but I don't really see any on ebay, and only a hand full online. I may end up just saving a little more money to get the SL AMG I have always wanted.

My w208 was reliable, and a car I truly loved. The best part was putting my personal stamp on it, and making it mine. I have seen plenty of CLKs in Maryland but I have only seen one in my shade of blue, or lowered, etc like mine was.

Dang I miss that car already. I went to get the subwoofer out this morning, and the rest of my personal items. I'll post pics later tonight.

Originally Posted by beefstallionAMG
Want to share pics before and after? I hope you get what the car's worth from insurance! Have you considered upgrading to a 55 AMG and transferring parts over?

I love how inexpensive and reliable the w208 CLK55's are. I have friends with B6/B7 S4's and E46 M3's that have had a pretty long list of problems. The W208's (that were maintained well) are about as reliable as you can get from a performance car.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM

I found my car using www.searchtempest.com or www.autotempest.com

It's a great way to search multiple auto sites at once. I drove 8 hours to pick up a clean W208 CLK55 in black with the two tone black and white interior. The SL55's are great cars too!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:48 AM

SL 400
It has been a little hectic over the last few days, with trying to deal with insurance, and find a new car. Thanks for the info on searching for a new whip.

I know I have not posted pics yet, and I really plan on doing it today. I post pics most times from my phone, (I'm on computer now) and this website keeps logging me out from my phone log in. I never remember my password so it ends up being a hassle to get logged in to post the pics.

I'll just do it from my computer today.

I am happy to say I picked up a new Benz (new to me) yesterday. Bit of a change, but totally my style. I will also post a teaser pic of that later today.

Thanks

I found my car using www.searchtempest.com or www.autotempest.com

It's a great way to search multiple auto sites at once. I drove 8 hours to pick up a clean W208 CLK55 in black with the two tone black and white interior. The SL55's are great cars too!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:07 AM

SL 400
A few before pics.

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
It has been a little hectic over the last few days, with trying to deal with insurance, and find a new car. Thanks for the info on searching for a new whip.

I know I have not posted pics yet, and I really plan on doing it today. I post pics most times from my phone, (I'm on computer now) and this website keeps logging me out from my phone log in. I never remember my password so it ends up being a hassle to get logged in to post the pics.

I'll just do it from my computer today.

I am happy to say I picked up a new Benz (new to me) yesterday. Bit of a change, but totally my style. I will also post a teaser pic of that later today.

Thanks
Not a scratch on me, even with glass flying!

The pictures don't show as much detail as in person

Notice the angle of the rear wheel!

More dents, and some wheel scrapes, and suspension issues.

Bye Bye Baby, your spirit lives on!

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 07-26-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 AM

At least you're ok. Cars as nice as yours was can be replaced! Did you walk away with no injuries?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM

SL 400
You are correct. It has already been replaced, and there were no personal injuries of any kind..

At least you're ok. Cars as nice as yours was can be replaced! Did you walk away with no injuries?