CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Transmission Vibration, Slip & Thump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 CLK320 Cabriolet
Transmission Vibration, Slip & Thump

Hi everyone,
I have some issues with my transmission,
There is a slight vibration in 5th gear when I feather the throttle at around 60 KPH (40 MPH) the exact location of the vibration is difficult to say, it's somewhere around the transmission maybe toward the diff. But the vibration travels through to the dash/console area. Only noticeable when it's still cool.

The transmission also slips before it accelerates in 5th gear, it's like the engine revs and then a slight thump happens, this happens for a short period then it goes away. There is also an occasional thump in the lower gears when I am slowing down.

Could it possibly be the Flex Disc? Or maybe resetting the trans will make it go away. I had a similar vibration around 15,000km (10,000 miles) ago I took it for a service and it went away, maybe the transmission fluid is low?

Has anyone experienced a similar issue that can shed some light?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 CLK320 Cabriolet
I've been trying to feel where the vibration is and it seems to be the rear of the transmission toward the tailshaft/diff but the slipping and thump in 5th gear I cannot tell if it's actually the gear itself or something else.