CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CPS Problem Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
CPS Problem Help!

Was driving down the road fine with the car warmed up and the car just died at a red light yesterday. Finally after a few minutes it turned over and I made it to my destination which was close by. Used my Torque app to get the engine code and it pulled up that its the CPS.

I went and bought the part from a store near me. Went back to the car to change it out and the clip is a PITA to get off!!! I even had a woman I know try to get it off because i have huge hands. She could get to it easier than I could but still couldnt get it off....how in the hell did you guys change that CPS out w/o breaking the clip off???

I dont want to strongarm the clip off in case i damage it or something....but it looks like i might have to if there isnt an easier way to do it. Im guessing from it being the original part and driving on NY salt/sand winter roads its locked in there tight as virgin pu$$y!

Any ideas on how to loosen it up or anything?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
You have to squeeze the connector locking tab(s) to remove it.

Note: Two types of CPS were used (e.g. one type has 1 locking pin and the other has 2 locking pins), so make sure the parts store sold you the right replacement.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by Serndipity
You have to squeeze the connector locking tab(s) to remove it.

Note: Two types of CPS were used (e.g. one type has 1 locking pin and the other has 2 locking pins), so make sure the parts store sold you the right replacement.
Yeah I can look at the top of the clip and see it is the one that has the 1 clip bump on the top of it. So im 99% sure I got the right sensor for it. Im going to go back and try the squeeze method for sure.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a master mechanic...he said to try to push the clip all the way in then to try to slide it back while lifting the holding tab up.