CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My car is dead :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK 230K Avantgarde (convertible)
My car is dead :(

I have the 230k convertible, and there is no power!
I drove it to my parents - no problems. As I was leaving I opened the doors with the remote, put the key in the ignition and as I went to turn it, it wouldn't turn, I heard a click and now there's nothing. Nothing at all, no dash lights, no central locking, nothing! I can't get in the boot to the battery as the key hole is filled (previous owner). I've checked ALL the fuses. The only thing I haven't checked is the relays because when I take them out I don't know how to tell if they've gone or which ones which and so far haven't found anything to say which is which. Is there a master fuse on this car?
Please can anyone shed any light on what I'm looking for or what to try because I'm stumped. I'm pretty hands on so I'm looking to resolve this myself before considering towing it to an auto electrician. Thank you in advance for any help
Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Get into the trunk by jumping it in the engine compartment....there is a red "+" cover on the positive terminal and hook negative to anything that will ground. If it starts, it's the battery. You'll have to reset all the limits on the windows etc...
If it does not, you at least can pop the trunk.
Tell us how it comes out.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Interesting if you have manged to open the car with the remote but there is no dashboard lights? Even if the battery is low the dash light usually still come on. However as mentioned connect to the positive in the engine bay which on your car is on the top right under a small plastic cover, (Ground is any part of chasis, use the engine lift hook)
Old 09-03-2014, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK 230K Avantgarde (convertible)
Yesterday we were able to start the car! Despite my dad's reservations about jumping a car with a perfectly good battery (hence being able to get into the car in the first place) we did it and got the boot open! The battery is fine! The battery terminal was almost off?!
Honestly, I'm glad it was something so simple!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by Mizzy_1984
Yesterday we were able to start the car! Despite my dad's reservations about jumping a car with a perfectly good battery (hence being able to get into the car in the first place) we did it and got the boot open! The battery is fine! The battery terminal was almost off?!
Honestly, I'm glad it was something so simple!
Perfect, dont you just love easy fixes !!

I had an issue recently with no air blowing through the vents ..... found I had just popped a fuse !! happy days