CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bulb or ballast??? that is the question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
Bulb or ballast??? that is the question

warning light came on....2002 CLK 430....changed out Xenon bulb on passennger side...a day later...it was out...dealer said probably ballast...so to test i put new bulb in driver side...initially it didnt work, then it did...then for a few days it would work, then going to work my wife says drivers light doesnt work, then shut off and restart, it works....To me these seems like bulb...
are Xenon bulbs finicky? can i have a faulty bulb?
or conversly.....can i have finicky ballast? that works on and off?

Last edited by Ken.horrigan; 11-08-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
gremlins

Originally Posted by Ken.horrigan
warning light came on....2002 CLK 430....changed out Xenon bulb on passennger side...a day later...it was out...dealer said probably ballast...so to test i put new bulb in driver side...initially it didnt work, then it did...then for a few days it would work, then going to work my wife says drivers light doesnt work, then shut off and restart, it works....To me these seems like bulb...
are Xenon bulbs finicky? can i have a faulty bulb?
or conversly.....can i have finicky ballast? that works on and off?
so, changed the bulb out, and both headlights now work.......BUT, now the one running light (canada) is out........then i banged the hood and it came on....
so tell me...is there individual ballasts for each light? how bout ignitors?
today, my wife says all lights are working....anyone else here of such odd behavior of lights, any solutions?