CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clk 320 Roof problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
Clk 320 Roof problem

Hi All
I am having a problem with my car and I think it is roof related I will explain best I can.
Start car with the roof up and as soon as I put the car into gear either forward or reverse there is a warning bell that lasts for about 5 to 10 seconds and goes off and the roof switch glows on and off slowly.
Also I cannot open the boot atomatically with the roof up I can only open it with the key.
But with the top down no bells no flashing switch light and the boot open with cabin switch.
It must be a sensor or switch in the last process of putting the top up but I dont know which one any help wold be good as this has been going on all year but I now have time to fix it.
Oh also the windows will not go up automatically when the roof is closed, but they do with the top open.

Please help this is driving me nuts I did take it to a dealer but he gave me the run around.
Mark
Old 11-29-2014, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
A flashing lamp, on the main switch, can provide some indication of power roof operating faults.

Flashing during vehicle operation indicates that the roof has not been closed properly (e.g. position/limit switch inputs to the controller). See enclosed thumnail.

Since your truck (i.e. boot) won't open with the switch on the center console, I suspect that the power roof controller is not getting the required signal from either the case cover lock/cylinder or rear bow lock/cylinder. Note: The power roof and trunk are interlocked to prevent the truck opening if the soft top cover is up (e.g. not closed and locked) or the power roof operating, if the truck is not closed and locked.

This has been a fairly common problem and has been thoroughly covered within numerous forum threads. You'll find that that the fault condition could be due to leaking hydraulics, broken lock switch or an issue with the wiring harness bundle inside the soft top cover. If the power roof has otherwise been operational, it's likely a broken switch or wiring.

Also go to TopHydraulic's web site and scroll down to the W208 section, where you'll find additional DIY information.

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/c...y-instructions
Attached Thumbnails Clk 320 Roof problem-flashinglamp.jpg  

Last edited by Serndipity; 11-29-2014 at 03:54 PM.