CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clear coat flaking off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4matic, 2000 Clk320
Clear coat flaking off

Any ideas cost to repaint exterior or treat/stop clear coat flaking. Clk 2000, 135k miles runs good, except leaving parts of paint around town.
Interior good, convertible top works well oops may have just jinked myself.

Car was clipped, front driver side about 7 years ago and previous owner "may" have had it totally repainted.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'02 CLK 320 2000 clk320
clearcoat failure has only one option. Repaint
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
A lot of things "could" have caused it . . . . on the repaint - bad material mix (the paint and clearcoat not from the same manufacturer OR not recommended together if the same manufacturer), the painter may not have waited long enough time at the right temperature between when the basecoat was applied and the clearcoat was shot, not enough flash time between coats of clear, not enough clear, acid rain, wild temperature variations - which, living in SoCal, I know nothing of.

I only know of one thing to correct it and myworld posted it - repaint. Cost for a "proper" reshoot "can" be as much as the car is worth. If you are in OC, track down Ash. He's friends with a good body man.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Thanks

Got it. Thanks. My summer project has been defined. I did get a quote from local guy and yes about as much as car is currently worth. Would have been nice to get that magic Shampoo to clear the flaking but repaint is the only way. Nice video on you tube also on how to fix. Same answer repaint repaint repaint.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Yes......the solution is a repaint and would cost more than a 15 year old MB is worth (e.g. poor return on investment).

Additionally, if you're still insured for comprehensive or collision, at this time, an insurance claim of more than $X, will declare the car as totaled and only pay book value.

Last night, while watching TV, Maaco is currently offering a special, for a complete repaint for $499. Several weeks, prior, Maaco was the subject on Under Cover Boss. You can watch the episode on demand (e.g. on the TV network web site, your cable provider) . My take away was that some shops are managed better than others and it might be possible to get a decent repaint repair.

I'm only throwing this out because, even through the value of 15 year old have dramatically fallen (e.g. due to the high cost to repair/maintain old MB), the W208 design is timeless and the resale of one in good condition (e.g. especially your convertible), will always be there. Assuming a satisfactory $499 repaint is done, you should be able to recoup, all or most, if you ever decide to sell your car.

PS

I've always wondered why some W208s develop rust, while other do not. Although I live in a snow belt, of significant road sand/salt/chemical usage, my 2001 has zero rust, The answer might be that after 2003, MB included measures to help prevent rust development and at times, likely included some of these to experiment/learn, on some models produced earlier.

Last edited by Serndipity; 02-08-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 02-08-2015, 10:39 AM

will check it out

[QUOTE=Serndipity;6323623]Yes......the solution is a repaint and would cost more than a 15 year old MB is worth (e.g. poor return on investment).

Additionally, if you're still insured for comprehensive or collision, at this time, an insurance claim of more than $X, will declare the car as totaled and only pay book value.

Last night, while watching TV, Maaco is currently offering a special, for a complete repaint for $499. Several weeks, prior, Maaco was the subject on Under Cover Boss. You can watch the episode on demand (e.g. on the TV network web site, your cable provider) . My take away was that some shops are managed better than others and it might be possible to get a decent repaint repair.

I'm only throwing this out because, even through the value of 15 year old have dramatically fallen (e.g. due to the high cost to repair/maintain old MB), the W208 design is timeless and the resale of one in good condition (e.g. especially your convertible), will always be there. Assuming a satisfactory $499 repaint is done, you should be able to recoup, all or most, if you ever decide to sell your car.

PS

I've always wondered why some W208s develop rust, while other do not. Although I live in a snow belt, of significant road sand/salt/chemical usage, my 2001 has zero rust, The answer might be that after 2003, MB included measures to help prevent rust development and at times, likely included some of these to experiment/learn, on some models produced earlier.[/QUOTE. Appreciate info will check it out, not sure any one local but possible. Car has good lines.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Don't waste your money on a $500 paint job. It will look even worse than it does now. Maybe you can save some money by taking it apart and prepping things yourself, if you have another vehicle to drive while you do that.

A proper job should dissemble the car as much as possible to get paint in the right places, and no paint in the wrong places. A $500 Maco job gets you terrible masking tape job with nothing taken off, terrible prep, and sub-standard paint materials.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:48 PM

Agree, doing the prep myself. Found a shop that will do paint with the right paint and color. Thanks
Old 04-05-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK 350 Cab
Did you end up getting the car repainted? I'm also thinking about getting mine repainted. My paint is cracking throughout the whole car. I went to macco last year in the summer cause I saw a the 499 special and the sales rep basically told me for 499 the car will most likely not look good. And told me I would have to spend about $2,500. I really don't want to spend that kind of money considering the car is 15 years old
Old 04-05-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
Originally Posted by johnaresch
Agree, doing the prep myself. Found a shop that will do paint with the right paint and color. Thanks
Try using an air line with a fine tip blow gun and try to blow as much of it off as you can when you start. If your lucky it will save you a lot of time. I've had cars come through in the past that we were able to blow the clear off of damn near the entire car. If the clear is failing on most of the car then I'd take it all off regardless. Even if it will feather edge by sanding I won't put new product over anything like that. Some guys will try to feather edge it the seal it and repaint, I won't shoot over anything I don't fully trust.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
Originally Posted by BK627
Did you end up getting the car repainted? I'm also thinking about getting mine repainted. My paint is cracking throughout the whole car. I went to macco last year in the summer cause I saw a the 499 special and the sales rep basically told me for 499 the car will most likely not look good. And told me I would have to spend about $2,500. I really don't want to spend that kind of money considering the car is 15 years old
You aren't going to get much for $499.00 . I spent almost twice that on clear alone. That's just for the clear and hardener . Now obviously your car won't take as much product as I used as mine was a full color change but just to give you one of the many reasons not to go the Macco route.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 AM

cost is high.

Tiger point auto painting gave me a similar estimate. But it is an estimate. Ha ha. So decided to turn it into a project car. Going to adult Ed course summer. Resurrected my old spray guns but bought new. At 15 years old need to do cost value assessment. Have seen some used low mileage cars for about 4,000.00. And some older about same. Will start with bumbers first. Paint is EXPENSIVE. Primer too. Good luck. When/if finish will post pictures. Go to you tube and look at video on painting cracking and clear coat finishing. Need to go down to base metal good primer sand prime sand paint.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:36 PM

2002 clk430
I have a 2002 clk 430. I too have the clear coat on my engine hood flakin. Is it possible to wet sand and shoot a clear coat on just the hood .The rest of the car looks great. thx
Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
I too am having a clear issue, at this point it seems to only be on plastic trim pieces and the roof (near the top of the windshield). I'm assuming this is a common issue. I should have this issue taken care of in the next couple months.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:35 AM

Plastic parts are the start

Just saw your comment to my question on clear coat. To sum it all up...sand/chemical strip or blast it. You can not feather clear coat and expect a color match with re-clear coating There is a nice video on you tube showing what happens. Get a DA or other good sander and start. Get a good primer, use it re-sand re prime sand again then paint color. Sand and maybe touch up then clear coat.

No easy way. or else pay the body shop to do it for you expect cost to be 2500.00 plus.

But look at car value. okay, I know it rides good, drives excellent and is a MB. My car has no name but I will be doing the work as project car. Pictures in about 3 months before and after unless I screw it up. Good luck all, look at the Youtube Video it is good as it sets the reality button.