CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Faulty Key or EIS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz clk 320
Faulty Key or EIS?

So right now I'm driving my dads 1999 Mercedes Benz CLK 320. The key will not lock/unlock the doors nor turn and start the ignition. However, the headlights still work and when I manually lock the doors from inside the car works as well. Even when I have the key in the ignition and the door open, it recongizes the key because on the dashboard it says "take key". It also still unlocks the steering wheel for me, but will not turn.
Right now I'm thinking its a key problem rather than an EIS/electrical problem (he's had the same key for 15 years & did not receive a spare for the seller of the car). I already changed the batteries in the key, still didn't work.
I just wanted input from anybody else who has knowledge on this issue or has experienced this themselves.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk320 cabrio
try cleaning both the key end with the eye and the part of the car that it goes into with alcohol and a q tip... if that doesnt work its time to go to the dealer and order a new key...