CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Easiest & Most Economical Way to Mechanically Improve a 2000 CLK 430?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Coupe
Question Easiest & Most Economical Way to Mechanically Improve a 2000 CLK 430?

Self-explanatory title: I just bought a 2000 CLK 430 Coupe, base model with Sport Suspension, 76,000 miles. What simple (& ideally relatively inexpensive tips) do you have? DIY or shop. Please, no "buy a CLK 55 AMG" jokes.

Specifically looking to improve:
  • Handling + Overall "driveability"
  • HP + Engine Performance
  • MPG, the V8 is a monster
So far I'm only using 91 octane fuel and MB approved fluids. My next paycheck is going towards various servicing (air, fluids, joints & seals, etc) and detailing the engine. Beyond that, I'm thinking about:

1. Running some BG44K through to clean out any gunk
  2. Installing a Green Air filter
  3. Installing new catback. Need recommendations as to which, and needs to be able to pass SMOG in California.
  4. Installing Bilstein sport shocks
  5. Getting a tune. Need recommendations because I don't know jack all about this.

Comments and Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Bordeaux430
Self-explanatory title: I just bought a 2000 CLK 430 Coupe, base model with Sport Suspension, 76,000 miles. What simple (& ideally relatively inexpensive tips) do you have? DIY or shop. Please, no "buy a CLK 55 AMG" jokes.

Specifically looking to improve:
  • Handling + Overall "driveability"
  • HP + Engine Performance
  • MPG, the V8 is a monster
So far I'm only using 91 octane fuel and MB approved fluids. My next paycheck is going towards various servicing (air, fluids, joints & seals, etc) and detailing the engine. Beyond that, I'm thinking about:

1. Running some BG44K through to clean out any gunk
  2. Installing a Green Air filter
  3. Installing new catback. Need recommendations as to which, and needs to be able to pass SMOG in California.
  4. Installing Bilstein sport shocks
  5. Getting a tune. Need recommendations because I don't know jack all about this.

Comments and Suggestions?

Thanks!
There's really not much you can do to the car for performance that's inexpensive.

The best bang for your buck will be the AMG 55 airbox with some good filters. I've dyno tested this and gained 15 RWHP from it.

Exhaust won't give you any performance, just sound. Anything cat-back should be fine for CA. IIRC you only need a C.A.R.B. EO# from something if it moves the O2 sensors or does anything to the OEM cats.

Don't waste your money on a canned tune. They aren't worth the money.

Suspension mods definitely help out. The steering mechanism is recirculating ball which isn't as performance oriented as a rack and pinion setup, but some decent springs/shocks will go a long way. H&R makes sway bars and the sways from a 55 are an upgrade. Do not cheap out and skip adjustable rear control arms. Aligning your car is essential to getting the best performance and tire life out of it.

The front brakes from a w203 C32 bolt up to the CLK. They're 4 pot Brembo calipers and are a relatively inexpensive upgrade over the stock 1 pot brakes.

Some people will tell you to get a sprintbooster and will swear by them, I think they're also a waste of money. According to their own site, they don't make throttle response faster in any way, they just decrease the resolution of the throttle input (tells the computer you're flooring the pedal before you actually are). You can do this for free by moving your seat closer to the pedals
Old 03-03-2015, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Yep, he pretty much covered it. There are not many "bolt on" mods for this car. If you want to increase HP, then literally the MOST economical way, as you have asked, is to sell yours and buy a 55 for a few grand more. It also comes with slightly better brakes, the mentioned airbox, a different muffler, and some other refinements. You will definitely spend less money and have a better car in the long run.

For exhaust, you may be stuck. the exhaust is just 2 big pieces which contain a total of 4 cats. I cut out the rear cats under the center of the car because I don't have smog check and it gives just a little sweeter note out the back without being annoying at all. Like he said, any exhaust mods are strictly for show, they won't improve HP over the stock system, and with CA standards, I would leave it alone, or just change the can to Mangaflow or something that gives a bunch of sound if that is what you want.

Checking over all the bushings would be a good first step. Many seem to like the H&R springs. I think they sell larger sway bars too, but I've heard they are equal to the 55 stock sway bars. If you want to spend $500 on the AMG airbox, then that is proven and easy.