CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible Top Repair Help....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk w208 Convertible
Convertible Top Repair Help....

Hello to all CLK (208) convertible Enthusiast;
I have being working on the replacement of the top from my convertible for a while now. Spring is in the air and want to have the roof down and enjoy the sun while driving. I can certainly do it now since the car has no exterior top) only the pad between top and headliner.
With the replacement top I have follow the instructions on how to place the original window but I am having difficulties to put the top back into the rear curved frame. My suspicion is that I have placed the window possible a cm or less lower where it should be causing tension before the plastic lip is all inserted on the round areas of the curves rear base frame.
My request is if you can help me to measure the distance from the edge from the rear window to the edge of the top on the lower part and to the first seam on the top.
I will really appreciate your help in this matter!
GR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CLK Rear Window Data.docx.pdf (106.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-02-2015, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
My top is German Canvas with a true glass rear window.

That looks like vinyl with a plastic window possibly a JC Whitney top from the old days.

If you find WIS (workshop information system) the details are complete.

I measured mine for kicks it is 3 7/8" lower and 4 3/4" upper

Last edited by GatorMB; 04-02-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added content
Old 04-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk w208 Convertible
Hi GatorMB;

Thanks for your response! The picture was just a reference picture, my car had the original top and the replacement is also soft top canvas with glass window.

With your information and the measurements I took on a car parked in the local Mall I can confirm I placed my window about 1 inch lower than it should be.
This created stress on the lower part of the top and did not let me put the plastic guide into the rail (specially on the curved areas). I cut the rivets on the window, remove it and placed the top again without the glass window. Did not have any resistance and was able to place the plastic guide into the rail without a problem.

That means I need to buy a new top and place the window a little bit higher.

Learning by doing....sometimes is expensive but this it is what it is!

GR