CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

After fit parking sensors

Old 04-04-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
After fit parking sensors

Hi

I have bought a set of parking sensors (Chinese, $25), which I intend to fit.
I have fitted these previously on a vehicle without a canbus and they operate satisfactorily.

However, I am concerned about the wiring on the 320. The instructions state that the front sensors should be wired into the brake switch, whilst the rear sensors should be wired into the reverse light switch.

I am worried that this type of wiring could upset the canbus and cause problems.

It appears that there are no resistors in the sensor kit, so can anybody tell me if I can fit it without causing any problems? If not, what do I need to add to the kit in order to use the brake and reverse light connections?

If I cannot connect to the lighting loom I intend to loop into the cigarette lighter and use separate switches in order to operate the sensors - however, I would prefer not to go down that road.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Old 04-07-2015, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
I would just try it!
Connect the two one power wire into the 12V positive at the brake light, the other to ground and see if you get a dash error, if not then happy days.
I do not think there will be any issues as the sensor surely uses minimal current, normaly the canbus errors are when the current is not high enough, making the ECU beleive the bulb is out.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 PM

clk320
Thanks for your reply and your confidence.

My son works for BBC and they use Mercedes vans for outside broadcast purposes. They have fitted extra equipment and screwed the canbus, requiring a re-build (expensive). I am very wary therefore. Do you have any experience of doing this?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by Austinat
Thanks for your reply and your confidence.

My son works for BBC and they use Mercedes vans for outside broadcast purposes. They have fitted extra equipment and screwed the canbus, requiring a re-build (expensive). I am very wary therefore. Do you have any experience of doing this?
I have fitted reversing sensors in my CLK and my wifes W203 C Class to the reversing light and they work great no issues. I understand your concern about attaching to the brake for the fronts and therefore confusing the canbus, however you are merely connnecting to the feed of the brake light bulb in the same manor so should not interfer with the canbus.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 PM

clk320
Thank you for your reassuring reply. I shall try it and let you know what happens. As summer is coming on I am now driving the beast, so it may be some time before I get round to doing it, as I want to enjoy the car whilst the weather is good and not spend time fettling it.