CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

w208 door restraint strap 1999 clk 320 convertible

Old 04-10-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
w208 door restraint strap 1999 clk 320 convertible

I thought members may be interested in my recent horrendous experience.

I put the car back on the road at the beginning of the month, after its winter hibernation.

Upon closing the driver's door, there was a rattle and something fell into the middle of the door. I took off the trim and found the door restraint strap had fallen off. The inner fix bolt was in the door and the two outer bolts were loose. When I took it all apart, I found one fix bracket had broken and the other one was distorted, allowing the nut to jump free of the strap mechanism. A new strap was acquired and fitted. I used Loctite on the studs.

However, I then discovered the window would only drop about 3 inches. I found that the restraint strap had jammed against the window guide when the door was closed, distorting it, thus limiting window movement. As it is welded to the door I was looking at a new door! However, by dint of a lot of hard work and lots of cursing, I managed to straighten it. It is not perfect, but the window at least now moves up and down, although not tremendously smoothly.

I checked the passenger door fixes and found one bolt was hand tight, so presumably that restraint strap is in the process of loosening itself. I re-tightened the bolts and now my next job is to take off the trim on that side and ensure all the fix bolts are refitted using Loctite.

Other members may want to ensure this does not happen to them.

I guess this situation will apply to other models, so my advice is to be aware!

Austinat