CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

[W208] Another Clk with a roof problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320
[W208] Another Clk with a roof problem

Hi,

I'm Tobias from Switzerland. I need your help for a W208 Clk 320 with a roof problem.

The problem:
The cab roof works weel and sometimes it doesn't want to close impossible. I have to do it manually (You have to be fast when it starts to rain )

I brought it twice to two different Mercedes dealers just after everything work well but after 4 or 5 open/close again, stuck.

Now the default code is: S83/5, I know I'm not the only one with this code but I couldn't find from where does it come.

What are the test that I should do ?

In Switzerland the sun is back, so I really enjoy having a soft top moreover when it works properly.

Many thanks for your help.

Sorry for my bad english.
Bye
Tob
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
There is a S83/5 'rollbar retracted' position switch that provides input to the power roof controller.

See the first two thumbnails in post #4 at https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...f-problem.html for more details.

Possibility the dealers clear the code and the roof operates normally a few times, until a problem with the switch again resets the fault code?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:53 AM

C320
Thanks for your fast reply.

I saw this. My questions are:
-do I have to change the whole rollbar unit ? I think this is expensive ?
-how can I get an access to this s83/5 switch ?

Does anyone had experiment the same problem and solve it by changing this switch.
I agree the dealer (in my own opinion) just clear the codes that's it.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
While I do not have hands on experience with rollbar repairs, from the enclosed thumbnail, it appears that access to the rollbar assembly is by removal of the rear seats.

One of this forum's sponsors, Top Hydraulics, has provided several excellent tutorials pertaining to the replacement of hydraulic components at: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/c...y-instructions , which you will find by scrolling down to the W208 section.

There, you will find a .pdf link for the 'Rear Bow Lock, Case Cover, replacement' . From the enclosed photographs, access to roll bar assembly is not via the trunk (a.k.a. boot). As example, the gray colored vertical panel shown in my enclosed thumbnail, shows that the soft top case cover lock is attached to this panel, as well as not obvious screws that would remove the panel.

Additionally, in the other provided .pdf link, you will find instructions for how to remove/reinstall the rear seating sections.

Operation of both the power roof and rollbar are controlled by N52 controller. Both the S83/5 'roll bar retracted" and S83/6 'roll bar extended' switches are limit/position inputs to the controller. The power roof controller checks their condition (e.g. either open or at vehicle ground), before resuming the next operational sequence.

As a long term owner/reader of forum power roof problems unfortunately; for the W208, the rollbar status switches are not available as an inexpensive part, but only as a complete rollbar assembly, which as you noted, is an extremely expensive replacement.

Using the forum search function, either here or at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/ is your friend.

I do recall reading a thread, pertaining to the replacement of a W208 roll bar switch, where the exact switch, while not available as a W208 part, is available as a low cost SL series replacement.

Lastly, read the posting at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...op-doesnt.html

While Swiss_Mark's problem/resolution iss different than yours (e.g. rear window not lowering), you might find it of interest.

Sorry, that I could not help you more.

PS: MB engineers did include a 'subsequent locking procedure', for when either the roof's soft top cover, rear bow lock and/or rollbar operation did not successfully complete. Basically, it exercises the associated hydraulics, due to a glitch, that did not successfully complete. Unfortunately, this forum will not allow me to repost the specifics again. The procedure is posted in this forum and numerous times within another mentioned forum. However, while this procedure might eventually enable roof closure, the correct conditions closure conditions might occur, they most likely will not be consistent.
Attached Thumbnails [W208] Another Clk with a roof problem-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-12-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added thumbnail
Old 05-12-2015, 03:39 AM

C320
Hi,

many thanks for this answer.

Because of you I have much more informations about this system.

I check with my EPC, and mercedes do not sell this S83/5 switch apart but as Serndipity said, we can buy it for the SL.

I did a few researches (thanks Google ) and found the part number: 1298207910

I'm going to ask them how much do they sell it. And then I will try to take apart the rear seats in order to have an access to the switch and remplace it.

Normally, if the MB star says that this switch is failing, a remplacement should fix my problem.

What do you think !

One again, many many thanks.
Bye
Tobias
Old 05-12-2015, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
In my prior post, I forgot to include the thumbnail, which is now there by edit.

In your original post, you said the default code was S83/5. S83/5 is just how the rollbar lower limit switch is uniquely referred to (i.e. short hand name for the switch) within the power roof/rollbar documentation. It is not part number (e.g. which would be in a much longer format) or SDS fault code (e.g. which would have a slightly different format and a brief description of the fault condition). Enclosed is an example of a rollbar fault code. Note MB begin with P for the power train, B for the body and C for the chassis.

The shop you visited probably just mentioned S83/5 as a likely cause of your problem. If you paid for the SDS diagnostics, they should have also given you a printout of all the fault codes presently stored.

Go to http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/ and use S83 as a search term.

There will be 6 threads worth reading for additional information.
Attached Thumbnails [W208] Another Clk with a roof problem-example.jpg  

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-13-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added thumbnail example
Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM

C320
Hi,

sorry for the late reply I'm very busy these days.

So, yes you are right I'm going too fast.

In fact I own the Mb Star my self.

The exact code (translation from French): "B1650-002: fault in soft-top actuation process [...] has been exceeded. "

For sure, the sensor is not faulty.

I read all the posts already but even if there are good source of information, my problem is not link with the S83/5 but this is the one that make the all process stop.

Bye.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:13 PM

C320
Hi, I'm back. I was quite busy last month.

So, always the same problem: the top open easily but sometimes it does not want to close.
I push the button and nothing happened, the trunk does not open. I hear the pump working and then giving up (with a clac). If I wait, after severals attempt It works.

I re-read the fault memory ans it is always the same: "B1650: Time for reaching limit switch exceeded => Ambient data ! " I click on this and "Timeout in the case of limit switch: 00 S83/5 "roll bar down" ".

So then, what should I do ? I was thinking of check the hydraulic oil level and maybe change it, but maybe I'm going in the wrong way ? How knows ?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4matic, 2000 Clk320
Another CLK320 with Won't open top/trunk Problem

Hope some one can help. Top is up so rain not issue. Want to bring it down. Red light blinking but no function of top. Back head rests up, tried manual tool but won't open rear section of window so I can then open cover and replace hydraulic cylinders. As such can not open trunk either. Car is now a soft top car with no way in trunck. Anyone have a way to get. Central locking using in car switch and or key phop does not work, Mechanical Key does not work. Manipulating top does not work. Tool does work but does not allow access to soft top retraction everything seems STUCK. Help.....
Old 12-15-2015, 04:06 PM

C320
You are in deep Sh**. Sorry.

I finally solve my problem. It was the S83/5 switch that was broken, I bought a new one and done.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
johnaresch.......unfortunately, your post did provide enough details to further trouble shoot over the internet.

The power roof is really complex.....not only because of of the number of roof specific components (e.g. 7 hydraulic cylinders, a hydraulic pump along with it's electric motor / relay, 3 fused circuits, tension cables, more than a dozen limit/position micro switches, a micro-controller, wiring harnesses etc.), but also because additional vehicle sub-systems (e.g. power windows, position of the roll bar, speed/temperature sensors, position of the truck lid etc.) must be operational and provide the required inputs to the roof's controller.

For example, to prevent contact damage, the trunk and soft top cover lids, have a built in safety interlock. Specifically, if the power roof thinks the truck is open (e.g. electrically speaking) the power roof will not operate. Visa versa, the truck will not unlock electrically, if the power roof has not been fully closed and locked.

Dealer diagnosis and repair could easily cost more than your 2000 CLK is currently worth. That's not only because of their labor rates, but also because of their cost/availability of parts and your post happened to be appended onto a thread that illustrates this.

Specifically, nanan had the MB SDS diagnostics run, which typically would cost + or - $125, which pointed to a fault in the roll bar retract micro switch, in his roll bar assembly. For our CLK class, MB does not sell this switch as a replacement part. A shop repair would be done by replacement of the entire roll bar assembly at a parts cost of around $2,000, plus labor. Fortunately, as the thread progressed, he found that MB does sell the exact replacement switch for the SL class (e.g. even at dealer inflated prices, maybe a $15 - $20 part).

At this point, you might want to make a small investment and get a read out of the MB diagnostic power roof fault codes read (e.g. from any dealership and many independent shops).

Some examples:

If .......

If your hydraulic pump does not run, both the power roof and roll bar will not operate. The solution could be as simple as a $.50 fuse or a faulty motor starting relay, which has been a common failure and a $10 part.

If the power roof's controller has not been notified that the roof has been fully closed and locked electronically (e.g. this involves the case over, rear bow lock and front bow to the windshield) electrically), the power roof will not operate.

All I can help you with at this time is if, you have good trouble shooting skills and the ability of DIY repair......the flashing lamp on your power roof's console main switch, is a first step. It provides some some basic diagnostic/fault information (e.g. see the enclosed thumbnail).

Additionally, the mechanical key, to open the trunk, mostly due to under use, has been problematic on our W208 CLKs. However, it's still possible with some effort (e.g. turn the key 45 degrees counter clockwise, and then push in/turn to release).
Attached Thumbnails [W208] Another Clk with a roof problem-s84diagnostic.jpg  

Last edited by Serndipity; 12-15-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4matic, 2000 Clk320
another CLK 320 Convertible top not functioning

Thanks for suggestions. Have lubricated the lock and will let it simmer for a while. It is garaged and I have time. 2 Hydraulic cylinders were being removed to be sent to top hydraulic as they were leaking.. Yep the back window latch and one other. Found oil in trunk. Will keep working it and post what happens. 3 Years ago in NJ i had Mercedes look at wiring harness. After they diagnosed the "problem" costing over $500.00 they could not find problem with intermittent top function. They recommended a $2000.00 harness replacement. Had a break-line rupture on metal line in my wife's MB, they wanted $2100.00 to fix that. Local garage did it for $400.00. Also had cam shaft sensors and crank shaft sensors "go bad". Dealer wanted another $2k to fix that. Did that myself for a little over $125.00. Cars won't ever go back to MB dealer again. They start repairs at $2000 and go up from there....Was told by service manager most repairs are way over that.....

Thanks again and will try lock manipulation.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 CLK 320 cabriolet
I know this is old, but wanted to confirm if I read this correctly... Mercedes part# 1298207910 will replace the W208 switch directly?

Thanks!