CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.

No blown fuses and I hear a click when the switch is moved forward and to reverse but no movement. Tried tapping with hammer on the middle motor but no results. So - is there a way to remove the seat cushion so I can gain access or is it better to attempt to remove the motor from underneath? Also if I remove the motor can the seat move forward by pushing it?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
I remember reading about being able to remove the bottom cushion to gain access below but cant recall where I read that. I'd do some google searching.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
If your seatback recline is still functioning, you can try fully reclining the seat then attach the Torx Socket to an extension and press it through the crack between the seat back and bottom cushion. You're likely to be right above the bolt when you do so.

If you have a "wobble adapter" like below, it'll help immensely!

Alternatively, you can use this type of ratchet to go at it from the side:

Last edited by Aussiesuede; 05-27-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
Thanks - stuck at it and I was eventually able to tap the motor to make it work - BRIEFLY - until I had access to all the seal rail bolts. When it ran the motor REALLY was whirring pretty badly and eventually it died. I did have a soda can and some other crap under there a while back and it must have caused it to prematurely burn out. I ran very slowly when it did work and seemed very weak. At least the electronics and switch work.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
I had this happen to me due to a pop can being stuck under the seat. The motor will stop until the can is cleared. Re-setting the car (pulling the battery) worked in getting it working back to normal afterwards. I would try that before taking any bolts apart.

KRis
Old 11-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK430
Forward/Aft Seat Adjustment Motor Replacement

Here's what I did to fix the dead motor on my 2002 CLK 430 (W208).

To replace the Seat Adjustment Motor on the W208, you need to gain access to the motor below the seat. In my case, I had to replace the motor below the driver's seat.

First you have to remove the plastic cover below the seat. This is done by removing the philips screw on the back of the cover as shown below:
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1063.jpg Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1064.jpg

After removing the cover, you then have to remove the two torx screws on each side of the seat.
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1065.jpg Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1066.jpg Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1070.jpg

Once the screws are removed, then you can lift the front of the seat up to give you access to the motors. As you can see, I used a piece of wood to prop the seat up.
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1071.jpg Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1072.jpg

In my photos, I have already removed the motor, but I found it easier to remove the motor by removing the Seat Control Unit first, which gives you more clearance behind the motor to unscrew the two torx screws.

You remove the Seat Control Unit by removing the two torx screws on the front of the unit facing the pedals.
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1075.jpg Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1087.jpg

After removing the two screws, you can lift the rear of it and detach the plastic clip holding the unit down.
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1091.jpg

Now you have the clearance to remove the motor. In my case, I had to remove the middle motor, which moves the seat forward and back. You remove this motor by removing the two torx screws holding it in place.
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1073.jpg

Finally disconnect the motor cable from the Seat Control Unit by poping it open and pulling on the cable.
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1089.jpg Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1088.jpg

To install the new replacement motor just reverse this process. I recommend testing the new motor before putting everything back together... just in case.

The part I replaced was the Seat Adjustment Motor, part number 2088200842. It cost me around $165 ($180 after taxes) from the MB dealer.
Passenger seat stuck in far back position - can't get to bolts.-img_1095.jpg

Last edited by tejan02u; 11-11-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Incorrect image uploaded.
The following users liked this post:
Tbcw2015 (05-31-2020)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
great pics!!!...this issue with our middle motors has been discussed many times...when you start to blow fuses, replace the motor!!!!
Don't get yourself into stim141's situation. Get to the motor while you can access the rail bolts!!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E320
Originally Posted by cindyclk
great pics!!!...this issue with our middle motors has been discussed many times...when you start to blow fuses, replace the motor!!!!
Don't get yourself into stim141's situation. Get to the motor while you can access the rail bolts!!
Thanks I'll try to see the same problem I have in my w211