CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HEEEEEELP ME PLEASE :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 03 Clk Cabrio
HEEEEEELP ME PLEASE :)

Ok fellow mercedes owners. Any Help would be greatly appreciated please! I bought a 03 clk convertible it was very pretty and was told it would be a good car. Its a Mercedes right? Weelllll Ive had all these problems with it. First all the lights were going out. I replaced the headlight and a dash light(that was horrible) Got it aligned and oil change as well. We bought it in the day so I didn't notice the lights not working. Next a belt issue the wheel was burnt off and the belt fell out. Took it in cost a lot. Next came the issue of it not starting. It wouldn't start sometimes after it hit 80 degrees. looked it up turned out to be the crank shaft sensor. Took it in battery was dead. Got a new sensor and battery. Cost a fortune great it drives now. The Top doesn't work either that's gonna be the final thing I fix. I taught myself how to take it down manually and put it up. Now the issue I need help with now has been happening since I got the car. Its with the ESP and I think the Key/Key hole has a part in it. Ok! so the turn signals air conditioner/ cruise control/internal locks wont work. At first all I had to do was jiggle the key around a little bit and they would all come back. Push the key in real hard even. The light always came on if it wasn't working. Now I cant even get the things to come on now matter how much I jiggle the key. I only have one key and I got new batteries for it. Didn't fix it. Is this a Key issue? Key hole issue? or an all out electrical issue. I wonder why Mercedes has the key hole linked up to the blinkers/air conditioner/cruise control? It doesn't make sense. Ive had to tell the Mercedes place what it wrong with my car. It came back with no faults at another place. They didn't even think to tell me about the crank shaft sensor when its allll over the internet. I need to know what the problem is before I take it in so they don't rob me trying to fix every little thing in the car and it still doesn't get fixed. Does anybody think a new key would fix it? Why would the ESP light come on and the car drives but no blinkers ect?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:21 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Sorry to hear about your problems. Welcome by the way . I would have gone back to the seller , and get him to fix it or you.And say to him that you will take it further if its not put right. If you have had it for some time your stuck with it now..
Old 06-13-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Yikes...probably should have checked it out before buying but that's old news.
If you are handy, many of the problems can be fixed by yourself. The CPS is a DIY for less $100. The esp coming on is probably a bad brake light switch....$20 DIY
When you took it in, did they start the car ok w/the problems you described?

Last edited by cindyclk; 06-13-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 AMG S55
Private sales are sold as is unless a written warranty was given to you at the time of purchase. This is why a car should be closely inspected by your mechanic prior to handing over the cash. You really can not go back to the seller and expect them to fix your car.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 AM

1998 CLK320 & 2009 ML350
These are awesome cars to own, IF you can DYI most of the stuff. Taking it to a shop all the time will cost a fortune (as you are finding out). Most of the repairs you have described are well documented in these (an other) forums and are a relatively inexpensive fix.

Not sure about the key issue, but the turn signals and lights may be the ground wire in the trunk hood. Seems that is a common fault. Have not experienced it myself, but there are a few posts on that.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM

c230
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Sorry to hear about your problems. Welcome by the way . I would have gone back to the seller , and get him to fix it or you.And say to him that you will take it further if its not put right. If you have had it for some time your stuck with it now..
If the car wasn't sold with a warranty, its AS IS.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:43 AM

Silver 03 Clk Cabrio
Thanks for the Welcome. Ive used this site a lot to work on my car. Its been very helpful. But I cannot find the same problem as me in the forums. And I have learned A LOT about Mercedes. I can tell these cars are made to be worked on. I knew It would be a fixer up and it is a 2003. I love the car and that's why I want to know why the key is affecting the blinkers and turning on the esp if its not in the hole a perfect way. Some things cannot be fixed by me.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Do you have more than one key?