CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2000 CLK Starting Problem - Just replaced CPS, still don't turn on :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk 320
2000 CLK Starting Problem - Just replaced CPS, still don't turn on :(

Hi all,

On Saturday I was installing some kickers on my car... A 2000 Clk 320

After finish installing them, I went to try to turn the car on but it just wouldn't start

The key turns, all the lights turn on, stereo and ac work too but it just won't turn on.

At first it sounds like it wants to turn on but it just keeps on going and going until it eventually stops and just hear a click. I thought it was the battery at first so I tried jumping it and still had the same outcome. After doing A LOT of research on Google I found that the CPS was kind of a common problem on these cars and found a thread where a guy had the same problem like mine (stereo, all electricity works) and after he replaced the CPS it was back to normal. Unfortunately it wasn't the same for me

I just replaced the CPS after losing the bolt and buying a new one from the mb dealership it was a pain in the *** but I finally did it and it STILL does the same thing

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be? Might it be the fuel pump? I read that's a very rare problem in these cars. I'm giving up hope and don't want to sell it but I think I might have to after all these problems and stress it's causing me

Thank you all for your time
Old 07-14-2015, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by rozay
Hi all,

On Saturday I was installing some kickers on my car... A 2000 Clk 320

After finish installing them, I went to try to turn the car on but it just wouldn't start

The key turns, all the lights turn on, stereo and ac work too but it just won't turn on.

At first it sounds like it wants to turn on but it just keeps on going and going until it eventually stops and just hear a click. I thought it was the battery at first so I tried jumping it and still had the same outcome. After doing A LOT of research on Google I found that the CPS was kind of a common problem on these cars and found a thread where a guy had the same problem like mine (stereo, all electricity works) and after he replaced the CPS it was back to normal. Unfortunately it wasn't the same for me

I just replaced the CPS after losing the bolt and buying a new one from the mb dealership it was a pain in the *** but I finally did it and it STILL does the same thing

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be? Might it be the fuel pump? I read that's a very rare problem in these cars. I'm giving up hope and don't want to sell it but I think I might have to after all these problems and stress it's causing me

Thank you all for your time
Strange that the car does not start after installing the kickers, could be a coincidence, but hope you havn'nt shorted anything, cant think how.

I had an issue with the fuel pump relay once, my car like yours turns over and over, but did not start. The relay was next to the spare wheel and got dirty over the years, you can try and jump the points to see if its the reason.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:29 AM

Clk 320
Originally Posted by A1EK
Strange that the car does not start after installing the kickers, could be a coincidence, but hope you havn'nt shorted anything, cant think how.

I had an issue with the fuel pump relay once, my car like yours turns over and over, but did not start. The relay was next to the spare wheel and got dirty over the years, you can try and jump the points to see if its the reason.
That makes A LOT of sense, I might of hit it or something while installing the kickers and maybe it got damaged or loose, hopefully!

I'm at work right now and the car is at my friends house so I will be heading over there sometime after to check it out and hopefully that is the case.

Thank you for your help I will update this thread once I find out. I appreciate it!!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 PM

Clk 320
Dumb question but how do I jump the point? I'm not very mechanically incline
Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 PM

Clk 320
Originally Posted by A1EK

Fixed!!! The relay was slightly disconnected so I unplugged and re plugged it and after a couple rough starts it was able to stay on! Thank you so much for your help i deeply appreciate it
Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by rozay
Fixed!!! The relay was slightly disconnected so I unplugged and re plugged it and after a couple rough starts it was able to stay on! Thank you so much for your help i deeply appreciate it
NICE ! glad I could help, for reference you can by-pass the relay if you have issues by using a piece of wire, there is a small schematic on the cover and you can bridge the link by following it.