CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ECU mod W208 - do it myself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Sport/AMG Body
ECU mod W208 - do it myself?

I just started driving my W208 as my very first car and fell in love over the course of a recent trip. Excuse my ignorance as I've only read a handful of posts on this forum and am a layperson for the most part.

I read some threads about various ECU modifications, as well as some other alterations that can be done, Kleemann supercharger, lifters etc. From the Kleemann website they don't offer the supercharger any longer, but they still talk about their ECU and other offerings.

Since ECU uses ODBII, can't I just acquire an adapter and program my own after some research? I work with computers (not cars) for a living, and the addtl. mpg and hp would be nice. If it's not really practical, requires a lot of testing etc, I'm not really sure where to look this day and age for the best ECU should I buy one and get it slapped in.

Basically I want to make the car somewhat of an ongoing project, I don't want to change too much of its character or squeeze it to the brink because I plan on driving it a while, but there are a handful of updates I have in mind.

I also don't know a good place to take it to get work done, if anybody knows a good shop in Houston I may have something for them down the line!