CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2001 CLK 320 Top won't go down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320 Convertible
2001 CLK 320 Top won't go down

Hi,

I recently changed the brake lamp switch on my CLK 320 and not the convertible top will not go up. It was down before I changes the switch out. When I press the roof button nothing happens and the button does not light up. Also the BAS ESP light is still on after changing them switch. I'm not sure if changing the switch out is related or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320 Convertible
Ok I have an update. If I hold the key in the crank position I can raise and lower the soft top. As soon as I let the key out of the crank position the top will stop no matter where it is in the cycle and the light on the roof button will go out. I'll take any help I can get on this. Could I have created a short on the break lamp switch harness when I changed the switch? The brake light do work when I step on the pedal. Also noticed the turn signals and cruise control don;t work as well, although hazards do work.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
While numerous threads already existing, which provide a treasure chest of wisdom for trouble shooting and DIY repair of the W208 power roof, I found your note both intriguing and possibly, not previously addressed.

As if just the power roof specific components (e.g. all the hydraulic cylinders, position/limit/interlock switches, pump, motor, starting relay, tension cables etc.) that provide controller inputs/outputs weren't already problematic enough, the controller also communicates via the CAN-Bus to control and evaluate that the other required vehicle subsystems are functioning properly (e.g. power window operation, rollbar, vehicle speed and engine temperature limits are not exceeded, electrical system voltage is not to low etc.). Additionally, if the controller has a stored fault, from either a CAN-Bus attached peripheral system or a roof specific component, the power roof will not operate.

You mentioned that you recently replaced your brake light switch, but your ABS/BAS/ESP warning remains.

While that specific warning was sometimes caused by a faulty brake light switch, which MB has since replaced with a better designed switch, note that the switch has 2 separate circuits (e.g. one to activate the brake lights and the other dedicated to ABS/BAS/ESP operation). The switch has two electrical plugs with three wires on each one. After noting which side of the switch each electrical plug is plugged in on, the plugs from the old switch can be transferred to the new one.

If you correctly installed the switch and you're still getting a ABS/BAS/ESP a warning, reread paragraph 2 above. Specially, since you have further noted that your turn signals, cruise control are no longer functional.

Trouble shooting an electrical system problem today can be quite perplexing, due to the CANBus communication using both physical and data layer protocols and that many connected nodes/device-controllers also using voltage encoding (e.g. where a single wire provides multiple channels or control functions). It appears that your power roof controller is not operating, due to downstream subsystem fault. As a only hypothetical example, the wheel speed sensors provide inputs to the ABS/BAS/ESP, cruise control and roof controller.

Bottom line......while the treasure chest of existing forum information and strong trouble shooting skills can often a lot of money, given your symptoms, I would strongly suggest having a MB SDS diagnostic run by a skilled technician, at this time.