CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2001 CLK320 Trunk Stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320 Coupe`
2001 CLK320 Trunk Stuck

So a few days ago I noticed that my trunk light inside my car was staying on, even when the car was off. So I opened the trunk popped off the trunk liner and unplugged the trunk switch so the light wouldn't drain the battery until I could get a new switch. No more light, everything was working well for a few days. Then out of nowhere the trunk no longer opens. I know the key lock on the trunk lid is seized, pushing the same lock normally works and that it how we always open the trunk, but it now doesn't work as well, the switch in the console doesn't work, and the button on my key also doesn't work...

What can I do to get the trunk open? Is there a part I need to buy, a secret trick I am missing? Or do I need to remove the seat and get in the trunk manually? If removing the seat is the only option what is the best way to do this?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by owen_jewell
So a few days ago I noticed that my trunk light inside my car was staying on, even when the car was off. So I opened the trunk popped off the trunk liner and unplugged the trunk switch so the light wouldn't drain the battery until I could get a new switch. No more light, everything was working well for a few days. Then out of nowhere the trunk no longer opens. I know the key lock on the trunk lid is seized, pushing the same lock normally works and that it how we always open the trunk, but it now doesn't work as well, the switch in the console doesn't work, and the button on my key also doesn't work...

What can I do to get the trunk open? Is there a part I need to buy, a secret trick I am missing? Or do I need to remove the seat and get in the trunk manually? If removing the seat is the only option what is the best way to do this?
I'm having the same issue. From what I read on here, you can use the metal key to get it to release. Put the key in (i'm not sure which way it is supposed to face), and turn it count clockwise, then push in. I have yet to get that to work but will try again today. After you get it open, pull off the trunk liner and make sure all the connections to the actuator are secure. Press the trunk button on the key until you hear the actuator working. Obviously, do not close the trunk until you hear it working.

Like I said those are just the steps I read here, but have yet to get it to work. I'll update if I do.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
saturate the key hole with spray lube and be patient, repeat several times, let it sit for some time and try to open with the key,

If it gets ugly buy a replacement key for sacrifice and keep spraying down the mechanism through the hole.

I have read about guys boring through the taillight but it is not required, Be patient spray and by morning the trunk will work.

Cheers