CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 01 CLK430 Manual Operation of Softtop

Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
W208 01 CLK430 Manual Operation of Softtop

I have a 01 CLK430 I purchased about a year ago. When I purchased the car the top would unfold, but not proceed further than that. Now it doesn't do anything and the rollbars are stuck in the up position and there is a trail of fluid leaking down to the fusebox in the trunk.

The top is a complex system and perhaps one day I will have the time to fix it, but now I am looking for a quick fix to manually put the top down and up. My tool box is missing most of the tools, but from what I understand I am to

release the pressure by turning the pressure relief valve 2 turns counter clockwise.
The latch to the back softop can be released with a 6mm allen wrench

The part I am stuck on is opening the softtop cover. I read that this can be accomplished with a 10mm socket, but I cannot find the release. Do I have to remove the carpet and metal covering in the trunk to access this?

I suppose once all of this is accomplished I can just fold everything into the cover?

I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything I have alsolook
Old 08-06-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by m2736185
I have a 01 CLK430 I purchased about a year ago. When I purchased the car the top would unfold, but not proceed further than that. Now it doesn't do anything and the rollbars are stuck in the up position and there is a trail of fluid leaking down to the fusebox in the trunk.

The top is a complex system and perhaps one day I will have the time to fix it, but now I am looking for a quick fix to manually put the top down and up. My tool box is missing most of the tools, but from what I understand I am to

release the pressure by turning the pressure relief valve 2 turns counter clockwise.
The latch to the back softop can be released with a 6mm allen wrench

The part I am stuck on is opening the softtop cover. I read that this can be accomplished with a 10mm socket, but I cannot find the release. Do I have to remove the carpet and metal covering in the trunk to access this?

I suppose once all of this is accomplished I can just fold everything into the cover? I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything I have alsolook

After releasing the softop with the 6mm Allen Key via the trunk the next step is releasing the softtop cover as follows:

1) Lift the Front of the softtop enough to cause the latch you just released to reengage. A quick lift & release of the front of the softop is enough to do the trick. What this does is return that latch you just released back to the closed position. Don't worry, as long as you aren't applying pressure to the rear of the softtop at the window, there is not enough force to see the top relatch itself. It'll just knock the latch cylinder back into the closed position, and this makes opening the softop cover SIGNIFICANTLY easier.

2) With the rear window (Bow) raised up, look at the gap between the rear seatback and the softtop cover in the middle of the seatback. You'll see a small "bar" in that 1/2" opening. That is where you place the end of a 10mm Box Wrench. Pull the wrench towards the left (drivers side) of the car to release the cover. Lift the lid of the cover and lower the top. Close the cover and use the 10mm box end wrench to secure it, this time pushing it to the right (passenger) side of the car.

Here is a link to a video of the manual operation:
Old 08-06-2015, 08:29 PM

CLK430
Tried to take the top down manually then I got stuck literally. rollbars are stuck up and the glass isn't clearing it. How do I manually lower the rollbars?
Old 08-07-2015, 03:38 PM

SL500
Tried to take the top down manually then I got stuck literally. rollbars are stuck up and the glass isn't clearing it. How do I manually lower the rollbars?
That plastic trim ring on the inside of the rear window is what's keeping you from successfully lowering the top with the rear headrest raised. Unfortunately, the ONLY way to lower the rear headrest without aid of the hydraulic system is to dismantle the rear seat and remove the seatback/rollbar. Your choices are as follows:

1) Forced the top over the rear headrest VERY likely breaking that plastic trim piece around the rear window in the process. Once that trim piece is out of the way, the top can be raised and lowered manually even with the headrest raised.

2) Remove the rear seat and dismantle the seatback from the roll bar mechanism, then inspect the roll bar mechanism for the lower latch which retains the emergency spring that's currently deployed. Apply pressure to the headrests until they lower, then manually deploy that latch which holds them in the lowered position. So that a big speedbump does not cause them to deploy again, I'd use a bar of some sort to run across the mechanism preventing it from raising in the future. You of course lose the safety of having a roll bar in the event of a rollover collision.

3) Fix the leaking hydraulics to restore system function (Expensive)
Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM

CLK430
Option two is looking like the best option. So there is no other way to release the rollbar? I have heard of someone sticking a large Allen key in there.... But I guess you need the top to be down.

Do you access the rollbar from the trunk ?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:53 PM

SL500
Option two is looking like the best option. So there is no other way to release the rollbar? I have heard of someone sticking a large Allen key in there.... But I guess you need the top to be down.

Do you access the rollbar from the trunk ?
Unfortunately the allen key down the side of the headrests only works on the W209 starting in 2004, not on our W208's.

You have to remove the entire rear seat to gain access to the roll bar mechanism. The Roll Bar Mechanism is complicated, and access is NOT easy. I repeat, access and removal of the rollbar mechanism is NOT easy. After sufficient complaints from W208 owners, they included a manual release to lower the rolls bars in the W209, but that does us no good.

Personally, If you're not prepared to have the hydraulics fixed (which is completely understandable not wanting to unload a couple thousand dollars on an issue that's represents perhaps a third of the vehicles value) I'd make the decision between the nuisance of having a broken plastic trim piece around the rear window, or never lowering the soft top. That choice is going to be different for everyone. For me it was easy, because like most people, that plastic piece was already broken. Now I raise and lower my softop daily manually. Takes me about 15 seconds. But when the top is up, that plastic piece is hanging. I've been thinking about just removing the entire headliner to make it a non issue.

Also, as a temporary solution for the headrest. Since you said they were working when you first got the vehicle until all the hydraulic fluid leaked out; you may want to try filling up the fluid resevoir and seeing if you can at least get it to operate long enough to lower the headrests.

Should you still be so inclined, here is a picture of the Roll Bar Mechanism removed from the car:

Last edited by Aussiesuede; 08-07-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM

2003 clk 430
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
That plastic trim ring on the inside of the rear window is what's keeping you from successfully lowering the top with the rear headrest raised. Unfortunately, the ONLY way to lower the rear headrest without aid of the hydraulic system is to dismantle the rear seat and remove the seatback/rollbar. Your choices are as follows:

1) Forced the top over the rear headrest VERY likely breaking that plastic trim piece around the rear window in the process. Once that trim piece is out of the way, the top can be raised and lowered manually even with the headrest raised.

2) Remove the rear seat and dismantle the seatback from the roll bar mechanism, then inspect the roll bar mechanism for the lower latch which retains the emergency spring that's currently deployed. Apply pressure to the headrests until they lower, then manually deploy that latch which holds them in the lowered position. So that a big speedbump does not cause them to deploy again, I'd use a bar of some sort to run across the mechanism preventing it from raising in the future. You of course lose the safety of having a roll bar in the event of a rollover collision.

3) Fix the leaking hydraulics to restore system function (Expensive)
I've got a 2003 clk 430 designo edition. I'm still not clear about the 208 and 209. Get different reply's about chassis used up until may 2004? Mine being a designo not sure . My point here. My roll bars popped up once when I went over some railroad tracks. Would not go down with control button but the dealer was able to release it and put it down by sliding a tool down into the small space or crack around the headrest. Sure didn't involve removing the seats.
That's another reason I'm confused about the 208 and 209. My car seems to have components of both?? But then maybe not....
Just an fyi that not everyone would have to remove the entire back seat to get the headrest down.
Cheers, Jack
Old 09-07-2015, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by JackRobinson
I've got a 2003 clk 430 designo edition. I'm still not clear about the 208 and 209. Get different reply's about chassis used up until may 2004? Mine being a designo not sure . My point here. My roll bars popped up once when I went over some railroad tracks. Would not go down with control button but the dealer was able to release it and put it down by sliding a tool down into the small space or crack around the headrest. Sure didn't involve removing the seats.
That's another reason I'm confused about the 208 and 209. My car seems to have components of both?? But then maybe not....
Just an fyi that not everyone would have to remove the entire back seat to get the headrest down.
Cheers, Jack
Not sure whether you have a W208 or a W209?

The W208 Cabriolet was produced for model years 1998-2003, has four separate round headlights and the front soft top bow needs to be latched/unlatched manually with a handle.

Per the W208 Cabriolet owner's manual, if the roll-bar had been automatically deployed you should be able to lower it using the roll-bar switch on the dash. The procedure is explained in post 38 at https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...p-issue-2.html (see thumbnail included in that post).

Additionally, the roll-bar subsystem is complex. The theory of operation is described in post # 5 at https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...top-issue.html

However, if the roll-bar subsystem is faulty, individual repair parts are not available from MB. Purchasing an entire new or salvaged assembly is usually required (READ $$$$$$).

Those with strong trouble shooting /repair skills may fare better. For example the travel limit micro-switches, are available for the R129 and are an exact replacement. If roll-bars hydraulic cylinder or value body is leaking, they can be rebuilt by Top Hydraulics .

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/23-w208-clk
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 PM

2003 clk 430
Hey, thanks. I've got the four round headlights and the manual top latch so I'm clear now.
Unfortunately my roll bar did not deploy automatically and won't lower with the control switch. I'm told it might be an internally bypassing roll bar valve so hopefully it will be resolved with everyone's help here.
Thanks, Jack
Old 10-19-2015, 04:33 PM

SL500
Link to Manually lowering the Rear Rollbar/Headrest Mechanism:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post6588920