CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Headlight lens swap question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
Headlight lens swap question

I have a W208 CLK and wondered if anyone has successfully swapped head light lenses? If so, how did you do it?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:37 PM
fd3

2002 CLK55 AMG 2002 c230k 02 Triumph America 1992 300e
Also Interested, I have a clk 55. I only want to change out the head light covers not the the whole assemblies. Is this at all possible or just a waste of time and money and possible failure?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
You would have to bake your lights in the oven to get the adhesive to separate and though it's no terribly difficult, you always run the risk of not sealing them back up properly and getting condensation inside the light - that is, if you could even find replacement lenses in good condition. Are yours cracked? Or just fogged? If they're fogged, try polishing them first. You can get pretty amazing results. If they're cracked...it would be easier to just look for new lights.

Whichever way you go (new light or polish) get a set of headlight protection film from Lamin-X. It absorbs UV and does a very good job of keeping the lenses from yellowing.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 AM

c230
I am fixing a car that is wrecked in the front. Both headlights on that car have broken tabs, but the lenses are perfect.

My parts car has good headlights, but the lenses are really foggy. I hope to swap the lenses from the damaged lights over to the replacement lights.

I've seen mixed results with the sanding and sealing of foggy lights.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by prostock
I am fixing a car that is wrecked in the front. Both headlights on that car have broken tabs, but the lenses are perfect.

My parts car has good headlights, but the lenses are really foggy. I hope to swap the lenses from the damaged lights over to the replacement lights.

Lucky you! Getting the parts is the most difficult part. There are plenty of tutorials online that will walk you through the headlight disassembly.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by prostock

You probably would find that it would take a bit longer to remove the lenses and ensure they are then sealed, then just buffing the original foggy lenses.
There’s various methods and pastes to use. But for me the easiest method is get some 1200 grit wet and dry paper, use lots of water and rub. Then go to 2000 grit and then polish with body polish, take about 10 mins a side and lasts for a good year or two.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Get the after-market projection lights. A full set of assemblies for only a few hundred bucks.
They really update the look of the car too. I would do it regardless.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM

c230
Originally Posted by jonUF02
Get the after-market projection lights. A full set of assemblies for only a few hundred bucks.
They really update the look of the car too. I would do it regardless.
The problem with that is you will get a warning message on the dash if you replace xenon lights with non xenon lights.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:04 AM

c230
Originally Posted by Josh K
Lucky you! Getting the parts is the most difficult part. There are plenty of tutorials online that will walk you through the headlight disassembly.
I have the parts. The lenses on the wrecked car are good, but the housings are busted up.

Links specific to a clk320?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I'm using all the stock Xenon system with the aftermarket Halo projector housings. Works great. My second set. It does require a small bit of modification. I mounted the ballast boxes to the bottom of the lights with some small screws, and cut a slot in the edge of the rubber seal area to accommodate the fat HID light bulb wire. There are adapter plates available for the bulbs, but I was able to get them seated and clamped without that.

no warnings since all the stock parts are used.

I also had to splice in the halo rings and some small bulb connections to the parking light wires, but does not seem to cause any warning.

I swapped the fogs for HID system also with my custom bumper. This is what give me a warning, even with the special blocker boxes, I get warning when I turn OFF my fogs, but not a huge deal, I just ignore it.

Last edited by jonUF02; 09-17-2015 at 11:28 AM.