CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk 430 2003 roll bar and top problems?

Old 09-06-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk 430
clk 430 2003 roll bar and top problems?

My top started to give me problems a few days ago.
It first started to hesitate but would eventually operate correctly. Next the windows would go down and the rear bow would unlatch and that was all, nothing more. Took playing around for a awhile to get it to close again. Now the only thing happens when I release the manual top latch; the windows go down but that's it. No error messages and no blinking lights.

I just went out and thought I'd play around with it a bit more. Tried raising the headrest roll bar with the control button and for the first time I heard a strange new clicking sound while raising them; click click click click. Now they won't go down or move at all.
I was able to check the hydraulic pump fluid and it's full.

Now I'm thinking the top problem has something to do with the roll bars? You think that's possible?

I checked the luggage rack. It's in place with switch engaged.
How can I get the roll bar down?
Thanks Jack

Last edited by JackRobinson; 09-06-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
roll bar not coming down - went up with unusual noise

Jack,

Was the sound you heard rather a ratcheting noise? In that case, you likely have an internally bypassing roll bar valve p/n 124 800 16 78. Internal bypasses in the roll bar valve rob most power from the pump, which would explain why the top wasn't moving any more before the roll bar went up. The roll bar valve is located behind the rear seat, lower left corner. In most cases with failing roll bar valves, the roll bar comes up slowly and all by itself while you are driving, making a ratcheting noise.

See also http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/w...d-service.html

Have you tried yet to push the roll bar button UP for a few seconds, and then DOWN?

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

CLK: location of your cabriolet hydraulics
Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 PM

2003 clk 430
Hi; Yes it was a ratcheting noise.
I see the diagram and the part behind the rear seat. How do I get to it?
From the trunk or does the seat need to be removed?
Yes, I've tried to use the control button and held it up for 8 to 10 seconds and more then down with no results.
Thanks, Jack

Last edited by JackRobinson; 09-07-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:51 PM
SPONSOR

03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Rear seat removal for access to roll bar valve

Jack,

you will need to remove the rear seat. Rear seat removal in the W208 CLK convertible is described on page 9 of http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/w208removalguide.pdf

Klaus
Old 09-07-2015, 09:05 PM

2003 clk 430
Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it and this site.
I'll keep you posted with my progress.
Jack
Old 09-07-2015, 09:11 PM
SPONSOR

Jack,

You have done a good job describing the situation, and I see that you have followed up on your other threads, as well. All of this is appreciated, it is good for future readers with similar problems, and it makes it easy and pleasant to respond to your questions...

Klaus
Old 09-08-2015, 10:51 AM

2003 clk 430
Good morning Klaus,
Thanks for the compliment.
"The Night was Sultry." lol
A few more questions before I get into this.
1: Before this issue started; the roll bar control button would typically blink about four times when starting the car. I thought this was normal and just a sort of check with the system. Was that normal? Or was it a sign of trouble? Now is comes on for a few seconds when starting the car then goes out.
2: A few years ago the roll bar popped up when I hit some railroad tracks. Took it to the dealer and they said there was a button down in the headrest could be pressed down then roll bar could be pushed down. I've read about it. They tried this method poking around in there. After several attempts they pulled the car back to the shop area and a few minutes later came out and said ok all done, no charge. Now not clear if they did the button push thing in the headrest or just used the control button?
Does my car have this release button down there? Was this how the 208 chassis was or is it the newer 209 models? I tried this method yesterday for sometime without ever finding the correct spot to release it.
3: After the back seat is removed is the roll bar valve right there to be removed? Will I have to remove other parts to access it?
4: Final question. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being not likely and 10 being very likely. Where would you rate the likelihood this is the problem?
I surely don't mean to question your knowledge or advice as I know you are an expert in this field; however I'm an old guy and this is not as easy as it used to be for me.

I do have some company arriving this week for a week or two so I will probably wait until they leave before I start to work on it. But will definitely update my progress.
Much thanks again, Jack
Old 09-21-2015, 03:50 PM

2003 clk 430
Roll bar valve removal

Klaus, sorry about the last post.
I did not mean to corner you into a definite diagnosis. I realize you can only give a educated guess based on symptoms described. I understand it is a complex system with many variables.
That being said; I have removed the seat and see the roll bar valve in plain site.
There are four hex head bolts which appear to be holding it in place along with the two wires; red and black clipped on. Am I correct in assuming if I remove the four bolts and disconnect the wires it will come off?
I am a bit reluctant to take any thing apart when I'm unsure. Sometimes when you take off a bolt or two things fall apart or pop out unexpectedly.
Thank You again for your assistance and expertise.
Attached Thumbnails clk 430 2003 roll bar and top problems?-2015-roll-bar-valve-judy-040.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 04:17 PM

2003 clk 430
Hi Klaus, I went to your parts section home page and found the part and it is clear now how to remove.
Thanks again, Jack
Old 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM

99 CLK320 Colibri
This is just what I needed. My rear bolt lock latch cylinder is leaking and needs replacing. Thought about trying to rebuild it myself but think i'll get one from Top Hydraulics.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Link to Manually lowering the Rear Rollbar/Headrest Mechanism:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post6588920