CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Prosport Coilovers fitted and tested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB W208, Mini Cooper S turbo, S1 RST, CBR600RR
Prosport Coilovers fitted and tested

Hey all
Im not sure if any/many of you have tried 'ProSport' coilover kit but i just took a gamble on a kit and fitted it a couple weeks ago. I say gamble as these are very cheap in comparison to other brands but having read numerous reviews of their similar application within the VW community i decided to take the chance.

So, i had a problem, and needed a solution. Car was fitted with very cheap -40mm springs and standard shocks. I fitted my new wheels (10.5x20 and 9.5x19) and needed a little tweaking to get clearance. Coilover option seemed the most sensible approach and at 250GBP (around 375USD) these were suspiciously cheap but worth a gamble.

Straighforward to fit, came with all accessories, new bumps, bumpcaps etc and the only thing i saw that could be better was the quite narrow diameter of the rear upper spring platform, otherwise these seem nice quality.

REARS:

FRONT:

Initial height setting was a guesstimate which turned out not so bad, but after 100 miles of driving i think ill raise this by 10mm or so but ride quality is actually a lot nicer than i expected from such a cheap kit. Handling has firmed up a lot but its not harsh at all:

Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 Clk55 AMG
Any regrets on the wide body kit?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Sexy what wheels are those?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Hey jkiddd33, they are Judd 311R wheels, 10.5x20 and 9.5x19 with non machined offset (ie original factory blank) though they can come with any custom offset you like :-)

Chadzu, not sure what you mean about regretting the kit, i know the purists hate things like that but i rather like modifications, and the supporting modifications that almost always ensue to support the initial modification
Old 12-03-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 Clk55 AMG
What I meant by the question is, are there any regrets to going with a wide body kit? Any unintended consequences?
I have been looking into doing something with the front fenders on my car. There are so few people that have the full kit on their cars, so I was just wondering how it worked out.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:34 PM

No problems with the kit itself no. Initially it had MB 20" wheels with the usual ET37 offset all round with 30mm spacers on the rears and 20mm on the front which, along with 40mm lowering springs everything cleared no problem (bare in mind the original archwork is all properly removed/cut away). Of course the arches weren't quite full with this set up as expected so i went a bit mad and decided i wanted completely full arches hence the need to get the coilovers to let me tweak a bit better. Also the lips on the extended rear arches are cut off too. I have tweaked the inner arch splashguards by heating them up and reshaping them, especially on the front.

So, in summary - the kit gives no issues at all, but if you want the arches to be completely filled with wheel, prepare for some tweaking

Originally Posted by Chadzu
What I meant by the question is, are there any regrets to going with a wide body kit? Any unintended consequences?
I have been looking into doing something with the front fenders on my car. There are so few people that have the full kit on their cars, so I was just wondering how it worked out.