CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Headrest/Roll Bar Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1968 Mustang, 1992 Lexus SC400,2002 CLK430, 2007 Nissan Titan
Headrest/Roll Bar Issue

I posted a thread a few days ago with my02 CLk430 having center console button issues. Well after unhooking the battery and resetting every fuse and relay thewindow and mirror buttons work. Now myissue is I’m trying to get my convertible top down. The rear headrests are fully deployed and Ihave researched multiple forums trying to find a way to get them lowered. I have held the button trying to resync them,I have tried to find the manual release buttons. I’ve noticed that every thread I find saysthey go down individually but mine they are both attached to the roll bar andoperate as 1 unit. With the back seatsout and everything out of the trunk (for better access) I have someone pressthe headrest down button and I hear a click in the small valve block attachedto the roll bar but I don’t hear the hydraulic pump doing anything. I have checked for hydraulic leaks and thefluid level and both are fine. Anyadvice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1968 Mustang, 1992 Lexus SC400,2002 CLK430, 2007 Nissan Titan
A friend came over yesterday and we discovered the electric motor on the hydraulic pump was shot. We switched out the motor and now the headrests will raise and lower but the stop will still not move. When you hit the button to raise and lower the top there are no sounds. The light on the switch stays a solid red (it does not blink).
Old 01-19-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
David there are plenty of threads for troubleshooting the convertible top, read any of the post/threads from serendipity (search by name), very informative on troubleshooting various issues with the top including specs, for switches, cables, hydraulic lines, etc. Another good source is Klaus from TopHydraulics they do a great job and have a wealth of information on their site (TopHydraulicsinc.com). When I purchased my W208 I got a great deal on the car because the top didn't work, I had all cylinders rebuilt by Klaus and replaced all cylinders, top worked and 3 years no issues. Good luck troubleshooting!!