CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

no key, anyway to disable steering lock/parking brake? options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car
no key, anyway to disable steering lock/parking brake? options?

Long story short: My dad had a 1999 clk 430, he passed away, we do not have the keys for it, and we need to move it.

What are my options to get the steering wheel unlocked and the parking brake released?

The doors are open, so i can get in, battery is dead also.

I need to move it about 100 feet on the property, its just in the way.

how hard is it to get a key made for it? any online places?

Last edited by infinkc; 01-18-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Sorry for your loss, there are Limited options for keys either a Mercedes Dealer or a Mercedes independent mechanic. A Tow truck should be able to move the car (cheaper than a key)
Old 01-19-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
no online way to get key...must go through dealerships...VIN # and proof own car....you can tow it but sooner or later will need key for a sale...around $250 from dealership
Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by infinkc
Long story short: My dad had a 1999 clk 430, he passed away, we do not have the keys for it, and we need to move it.

What are my options to get the steering wheel unlocked and the parking brake released?
The doors are open, so i can get in, battery is dead also.
I need to move it about 100 feet on the property, its just in the way.
how hard is it to get a key made for it? any online places?
The short answer is - call a tow truck.

The much longer answer is - the parking brake release is below the headlamp switch, but the transmission will still be in park. Like others have said, you'll have to see a dealer to get a key. Don't be surprised if they ask to see a valid registration and only offer to sell a key to the registered owner. There are people (non-dealers) who will offer to sell you a key, but they'll have 101 reasons why it doesn't work after the money changes hands. Also, I believe the steering lock requires current (electricity) to unlock, so even with a key, there's going to be a problem with a dead battery. The battery is in the trunk and without a key, you'll have to have current to open the trunk. Even with they key, opening a trunk with a dead battery can be a major pain, which you'll find out if you find the key. To open the trunk without a key, use the attached photo. The red arrow points to a cover. On a CLK, there is a 12 volt positive wire underneath where one could make the positive connection. The negative can be hooked to just about anywhere else. Make sure the door is open when the electrical connections have been made. The last thing you want is for the car to get juice and the doors to lock. The car has a factory alarm, so don't be startled if it goes off. The alarm is typically deactivated by putting the key in the ignition. After the car has power, the switch on the center console can be used to open the trunk. I highly recommend you do not attempt to jump the car from that spot under the hood. Instead, use it to open the trunk and swap batteries there.

I hope that helps