CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

FAILED Atempt at Rain Sensor Fix (vid)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'62 220SEx2, '65 250SE, '85 380SL, '99 CLK430
FAILED Atempt at Rain Sensor Fix (vid)

So I tried to repair the rain sensor on my car, it seemed to be a straight forward fix but this one I failed... But not defeated.

I will beat this one....

Old 03-17-2016, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Take a look at this thread.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208...eld-wiper.html
Old 03-17-2016, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Serndipity
Thanks,

As you can see in the video if I hover the sensor over the glass it works in thr auto state.

I have seen that thread in the past. The issue with mine is definitely the lamination between the lens and the windshield.

It turns out that my windshield was replaced prior to me purchasing the car.. it does not have the Mercedes logo nor the SIGLA insignia at the lower corner it says PILKINGTON

So whome ever installed it did not do a good job.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Last summer, I had my windshield was replaced, after a stone hit it and left a spider web about the size of a US quarter. In MA, I would not pass the annual inspection, but windshield replacement is 100% covered by insurance.

Because I have the rain sensor option, I called the MB dealer to find out who they used for glass replacement (e.g. done right the first time). The shop used a genuine MB windshield and I recall that they needed 1 or 2 additional items from MB. Unfortunately, I can't find the invoice, so can't tell you if they re-purposed the old lens or installed a new one.

Going back to the theory of how the rain sensor works, I posted in the link above, specifically "With increasing moisture the percentage of reflected light decreases. The rain sensor measures this percentage and transmits the reading via the CAN bus to operate the wiper motor.", I'm wondering if all that goo is reflecting back to much light and making the sensor think it's always raining.

Have you tried removing all the goo and then gluing the lens to the windshield via daps in the corners or a small bead at the edges?

While a new rain sensing windshield should be plug and play, note that the aforementioned lens is permanently attached (i.e. glued) to the windshield.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:56 PM

I too did call the dealer to get the kit to repair the sensor they told me they dont carry any, usually the glass companies has them.

So I went that direction.

The sensor lens was not glued with a rigid adhesive. It was a gel like substance, i visited a few junkyards and all of the cars from that era used the same gel like adhesive.

You can hold the sensor and twist it around on the glass.

I then used a razor to remove the rest if the goo.
Then 91% rubbing alcohol after.

I first applied the gel pad to the lens then to the glass; but now i think it would be better to 1st install it on the glass, then heat the gel with a heat gun then press the lens on..

With the gel now being softer just press the crap outta it onto the thing..

So that im trying next!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:50 PM

98 clk 320
Keeping an eye on this thread I recently purchased a 98 clk 320 with a replaced front windshield. The sensor cover is gone and currently held in place with aluminum tape(it came like that). Seems to work sometimes usually intermittently like one swipe every few minute. I noticed if I press it against the windshield it seems to work bit not as it should. I'm busy with replacing the sunroof cover liner what a pain that was to get out.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 PM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
How do I know if I have a rain sensor? I have an '02 CLK430. It looks like there's some type of sensor visible from the outside where the rear view mirror mounts. But I just went through two rain storms in the past two days with no auto wiper activation. Headlights were on too. Is there a setting that needs to be checked to get them to work automatically?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by GAU8mech
How do I know if I have a rain sensor?
See enclosed thumbnail.

Remove the cap (item 1) at the base of your mirror, which will expose the rain sensor circuit module (item 3).
Attached Thumbnails FAILED Atempt at Rain Sensor Fix (vid)-rainsensor.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 12:41 PM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
See enclosed thumbnail.

Remove the cap (item 1) at the base of your mirror, which will expose the rain sensor circuit module (item 3).
Great thanks. So if I do have the sensor, how is it supposed to activate? Do I need to set something through a user menu or something?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Great thanks. So if I do have the sensor, how is it supposed to activate? Do I need to set something through a user menu or something?
As described in your owners manual, when you turn the windshield wiper/washer stalk switch from 0 (wiper off) to position 1 (intermittent wiping), if the optional rain sensor is installed, after the initial wipe, the pauses between wipes are automatically controlled by the rain sensor, which monitors the wetness of the windshield.

Under numerous driving conditions, I've found the advantages of this feature to quite beneficial (reduction of wear and tear on the switch, wiping mechanism/motor/blades).

There are no user settings.

The rain sensor signal is received by the roof control panel control module (N70) and then sent via CAN data line to the signal pick-up and actuation module (N10/1[left-front]).

If your W208 has the optional rain sensor, but does not function properly, the possible causes are:

Improper windshield replacement
Roof control panel control module
Electronic ignition switch control module
Signal pick-up and activation module
Wiper stage 1 relay
Driver-side fuse and relay module box

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-10-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:57 PM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
As described in your owners manual, .......
So would you be shocked to know I bought the car used with no user manual? I'm about to floor you then when you read that this is my first European car as well! OMG!

There wasn't any need to point that out like that. I appreciate that you answered it, but I had no book to refer to. Thank you anyway.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
So would you be shocked to know I bought the car used with no user manual? I'm about to floor you then when you read that this is my first European car as well! OMG!

There wasn't any need to point that out like that. I appreciate that you answered it, but I had no book to refer to. Thank you anyway.
If you're expecting an apology, it's not forth coming.

I'm quite familiar with your situation.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-mb-owner.html posted 2 months ago.

In that post you said "I chose this car because I'm a mechanic and have seen various MB models come into my bay. I've worked on Audis, and Beemers too. The MB models always seemed less daunting to work on vs. the other two brands. I seem to understand the mechanics of the MBs better."

Also note, I replied to your posting as follows (see post #5)

"Welcome Jason

You can read/download a copy of your owners manual here.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals

You'll find most of answers to your questions in the manual.

The W/S switch on the center console, selects winter / summer mode (e.g. winder mode starts in 2nd gear). The tilting down mirror in reverse is a design feature, to view curbs when parking and can be shut off. Sounds like the unlit LCD areas are for the temperature and clock displays and either the back light bulbs are burnt out or have been removed. Note: Missing segments is both of these displays has been a very common problem.

Regarding the lamp out warning, check the license plate light. It has 2 bulbs and just 1 being out, will trigger the warning."

As an original owner of the W208 CLK, as well as an accomplished DIYer, I've always attempted to help others to resolve any ownership issues.

Given the qualifications you professed, perhaps working in a Jiffy Lube, Pep Boys bay etc., as well as additional threads you have since started, w/o the slightest clue of how to diagnose and further troubleshoot problems.....go figure!

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-10-2016 at 08:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lawrdent (01-25-2023)
Old 04-10-2016, 10:09 PM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
And I'm sitting in a hotel waiting on my home to be ready with my computer that has that document downloaded on it in the back of a moving truck. I'm on my phone and don't have the same features to find my post that had that link.

I wasn't expecting an apology from someone that comes off as an Internet bully. Water off my back.

Now I asked about the rain sensor, because, as an experienced mechanic that has dealt with this sensor in the past, can see that there is what appears a sensor installed and it'sit's not working on an as-needed basis in intermittent position. I looked over the controller and didn't see a different position setting. I also have problems with some of the displays on the IC not being readable so I don't know if there's a way to set that feature using those displays.

I asked a simple question. No need to be a smart-*** about your response. I am trying to learn more about this brand so I can be more useful in my job. Try memorizing all the controls of every brand out there and see if you can pull it off. I don't just work on MB cars. You mock me because I work for a chain repair shop. I have a job I appreciate because I get to work on more than one brand. That hones my abilities under the hood and in the controls.

Go find someone else to pick on.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:01 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
GAU8, Serndipity is one of the better members and one of the most knowledgeable on the operations of the W208. I can understand your frustration, but as a new owner reading the manual and knowing the specs of your car is important to understand how the car operates and to understand the features. Did you post your vin to get a detailed list of the specs for your car?

A generic list of specs and available options can be located on Cars.com

http://www.cars.com/mercedes-benz/cl...ard-equipment/
Old 04-11-2016, 06:13 AM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by burgca
GAU8, Serndipity is one of the better members and one of the most knowledgeable on the operations of the W208. I can understand your frustration, but as a new owner reading the manual and knowing the specs of your car is important to understand how the car operates and to understand the features. Did you post your vin to get a detailed list of the specs for your car?

A generic list of specs and available options can be located on Cars.com

http://www.cars.com/mercedes-benz/cl...ard-equipment/
Part of the problem here is some people aren't reading the whole post or they would see I just explained why I am asking these questions. I am asking because the rain sensor feature didn't work right during use, the OP asked a question that matched my concern, and I don't have access at the moment to the .pdf file that had the answer. If he's one of the better members here, then why behave lie that to a new member asking legit questions? His behavior is why some new members to a site walk away with a sour taste in their mouth and questions unanswered because they get flamed for asking questions that have been answered in the past. He's not considering that I may have a good reason why I'm asking questions that may seem to you and everyone else on here as redundant and simple.

I got my answer. I won't bother anyone else on here anymore.