CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2000 CLK Convertable top issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SLK 230 - 2000 CLK 320
2000 CLK Convertable top issue

Greetings...just joined, first posting

Took my car out of the garage today, went to put the top up, and right away the hydraulic pump started making a strange sound, and about 1/2 way through the closing procedure, the top started to move slower and slower and eventually stopped mid close. I was able to close it most of the rest of the way manually. Now when I try up or down, I hear some faint noise for a second, then it stops, then nothing again up or down. What the hell?? Please help!

I just tried again in my garage where it is quiet...when I move the switch in either direction, I do hear a faint noise like the motor is running, but nothing happens.

Last edited by johnny-cat; 04-06-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
A pump in the roll bar/soft-top operation hydraulic unit generates the required operating pressure and hydraulic cylinders actuate the mechanics of the soft top.

There are 7 hydraulic cylinders in the power roof system.

Hydraulic cylinder - open/close soft top, left
Hydraulic cylinder - open/close soft top, right
Hydraulic cylinder - lift/lower soft top bow, left
Hydraulic cylinder - lift/lower soft top bow, right
Hydraulic cylinder - unlock/lock soft top bow
Hydraulic cylinder - open/close soft top compartment cover
Hydraulic cylinder - unlock/lock soft top compartment cover

The soft-top system is controlled by the roll bar/soft-top operation control module.

It evaluates the positions of numerous limit / operating switches and correspondingly switches solenoid valves to actuate the hydraulic cylinders. When a required signal is absent, further roof operation will stop.

Have you checked some of the basics?

The power roof will not work properly if the electrical supply voltage is less than 11 volts.

What is the level of your hydraulic fluid?

When you closed the roof manually, you should have reduced the hydraulic system pressure as described in the owner's manual. Before subsequently trying to operate the power roof again, did you remember to turn the screw back to restore full system pressure?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:11 AM

Mercedes Benz
Good job bro and thanks for the contribution to the this forum. Engine have some problem many times so it's not start especially when the engine is warm. The car could be start again but if you left to cool off so wait for till the cars engine cool.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Benjamin I think you posted in the wrong thread, the system you describe is caused by the Crank Position System CPS, a common failure, replace CPS and your car will be back to normal.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:16 PM

1999 SLK 230 - 2000 CLK 320
Thank you for your help....After much research and a few $$$, It was the bow latch. All fixed.