CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Leak-coolant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cabrio
Leak-coolant?

Hey all,

In my quest to solve my ongoing window issue on my'00 CLK 430 Cabrio, I've noticed a leak. It's just in front of the rear left tire. It's greenish. I'm thinking it's coolant. Trouble it, I can't open the hood right now (Previous owner stretched out the cable, I'm still trying to get the passenger side latch to release), so I can't fill the coolant right now. There is a "fill coolant" message on the dashboard that's been there since I bought it a week ago, but the temps have been fine (around 80 in the middle of the gauge, maybe a little higher, but nowhere near the red zone) but now that I've noticed this leak I'm a bit more worried. I removed the base of the rear seat earlier today and noticed a small, dried puddle in the corner under the seat, above this leak. I'm assuming they're the same leak. Is this coolant, or is it something else? What steps can I take to try to find the leak? And finally, can I safely drive the car until then?

I did bump a curb a little the other day (still getting used to the car, oops!) but other than that any issue would probably be from the previous owner, so I'm limited in how much info I can provide. Thanks for any advice you guys and gals can offer.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes clk230 kompressor sport (w208)
Hi,the water in the back of the car would be a seperate,you should realy try and get the bonnet open and check the coolent,it could be very bad to keep driving the car as if it did over heat it could couse damidge to the engine.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I would take the car to a mechanic. no offense but you dont seem to know much about cars. There is no coolant in the back. Also you say you are still trying to work out issues but you cant open the hood?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Obviously you need to get the hood open and check the coolant level.

However, I suspect the leak that pooled under your rear seat is a leaking soft top hydraulic cylinder, likely the case cover or rear bow hydraulic cylinder, which have been the most common culprits. You can verify by checking the level of hydraulic fluid in the reservoir or removing the carpeted panels inside the compartment that the roof folds into.

More information is here: https://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/...benz-a208-info

If so, when the remaining hydraulic fluid drops to low, the power roof won't work. Should this occur, you can raise the roof manually. The detailed procedure is in the practical hints section of your owner's manual.