CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

recent clk purchase great so far except...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk
recent clk purchase great so far except...

Just recently purchased my first mercedes to date, a 98 clk320. Over all i have been fairly happy with the car, however, the previous owner managed to apply 3 atrocities to the stereo system and im hoping a kind soul here might help me figure out one or more of these problems. First thing first the guy installed an aftermarker cd player in the dash which irritates the hell out of me because the amp is not engaging to power the speakers and the system just sounds plain horrible, no where near mercedes quality sound. not to mention a regular aftermarket cd player only has output to 4 speakers so the rear deck speakers are not even turning on just the ones in the doors. I would love to know what oem stereo deck i need to get from a pick-n-pull to engage the amp and return the stereo to fully functional. it also would not hurt my cause to know what other model cars said stereo deck could possibly be found in.

My second problem is previous owner decided to install a sirius satelite radio reciever where the ash tray use to be(see attatched picture) and i have no idea how to get it out of there with out potentially breaking something.

Third problem is the least of my worries, but the guy took a rather strange approach to the lengthy install process for new rear deck speakers and installed some brand name aftermarkets by shoving them in there backwards. I am not even sure what they sound like yet lol.

thanks in advance for any help, your time and knowledge are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jltahoe; 06-15-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Okay my first piece of advice is to learn the search feature well. The radio has been covered a ton of times and just about everything you could think to ask has been answered. search marcus signal to noise in google. this will give you a starting point on the radio issues.

To get to the back speakers (I am assuming you have a coup since your user CP is not filled out) you are going to need take off the carpet and sides of the rear seats to pull the parcel shelf.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
My OE radio is a Becker Audio 30. The OE has an earlier car and I don't know if those had Audio 30's too.

HOPEFULLY whoever installed the aftermarket radio used a wiring harness adapter. Although, if the rear speakers don't work . . . . . . . . you may need some quiet time shortly after pulling the head unit.

If it is horrific, post some photos.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk
Originally Posted by insame1
Okay my first piece of advice is to learn the search feature well. The radio has been covered a ton of times and just about everything you could think to ask has been answered. search marcus signal to noise in google. this will give you a starting point on the radio issues.

To get to the back speakers (I am assuming you have a coup since your user CP is not filled out) you are going to need take off the carpet and sides of the rear seats to pull the parcel shelf.
because taking your time to write out i should be using the search engine, insuating i am some kind of jackass that cant use a search function (especially when i have already tried that and it provided no results on the topics my specific questions were related to) is so helpful. not to mention the only piece of "advice" you did offer is about the one thing i said doesnt matter nearly as much to me and that i have covered (because it is the only thing i could find a write up on) id suggest to you that you hop off your high horse and come down to reality you pompous ***.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by jltahoe
because taking your time to write out i should be using the search engine, insuating i am some kind of jackass that cant use a search function (especially when i have already tried that and it provided no results on the topics my specific questions were related to) is so helpful. not to mention the only piece of "advice" you did offer is about the one thing i said doesnt matter nearly as much to me and that i have covered (because it is the only thing i could find a write up on) id suggest to you that you hop off your high horse and come down to reality you pompous ***.
You'll find that it's more effective to hone your "advanced search" skills because many threads like this go unnoticed, and without feedback. Using the advanced search proves to be far more effective.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline

Your new so i get your **** poor attitude. I gave you way more info then you know. the person who posted below me is the one member who I had you search for. Instead of taking his advice or thanking the person who answered some of your questions (MarcusF) you come on here and try to attack me. I wasn't "insinuating" (correct spelling) anything but thanks for chiming in so I know better that to try to help you in the future. Keep on not doing your part expecting everyone to hand you answers on a silver platter and see how much help you get.

PS: MarcusF knows more about your car than you ever will.

Last edited by insame1; 06-17-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Jtahoe if you re-read the post from insane1 it wasn't condescending or abrasive (we do have members who can be both). The main piece of advice was to search posts from MarcusF(who did respond) and go to the Signal to Noise site.

You cannot control responses as this a forum, but if you respond with anger you won't receive a lot of support. Here is a link to the site Marcus runs which has a lot of information on the W208 (Signal to Noise) Good luck!!
http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/
The following users liked this post:
insame1 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 CLK 320 cabriolet
A reminder that I need to switch to decaf...