CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Replacing Expansion Valve - MB or Egelhof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
Replacing Expansion Valve - MB or Egelhof?

Having my AC serviced next week. Already purchased the pipe from condenser to drier which started leaking last year. Last year system was cooling perfectly - evap temps about 38F at idle with temps in the high 90's to low 100's even at idle.

This year its much worse and takes a LONG time to cool into the 40-50's and at idle it basically is terrible. So I'm getting an evac/recharge and during the process am going to replace the pipe and drier as well as the expansion valve. There seems to be a couple of options with regards to the expansion valve. OEM MB original - very expensive but they can be found for less than 100. A REIN/Egelhof is about 35 or less and there are others like URO and other aftermarkets. Anyone use anything other than OEM MB? The REIN/Egelhof looks very different than whats in the car (which is gold and the end of the valve is square) whereas the REIN/Egelhof has some round cylinder at the end (not the pressure diaph.) and the diaphram pressure sensor looks a little different.

Not going to replace the compressor at this point because I think it is working fine. System pressures can get as high as 20 (which is too high and thats why I'm replacing the expansion valve) and the system seems to pressurize fairly quickly. Know the only way to tell if the compressor is working properly is with a proper gauge but the dash/climate control seems to show good pressure - although the valve may be blocked or slightly clogged.