CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Odd Electrical Problem

Old 08-02-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
Odd Electrical Problem

Car is a 2003 CLK320 convertible, about 120,000 miles if it matters.

In the past the defective bulb warning would occasionally come on when backing out of the garage, maybe once every 60-90 days; So I assumed either a burned out brake or reversing light. A visual check, though, showed all the bulbs were working. So I'd just hit reset and be on my way.

Today the warning started coming on every time I stepped on the brakes, regardless of what gear I'm in and at the same time as I came to a full stop the passenger side mirror goes to the you're-in-reverse-so-I'm-pointing-down position showing me the curb. So I hit reset and when I start moving forward again the mirror returns to it's normal position.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?

I'm not sure how the system that determines a defective bulb operates but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to check every bulb and ensure I have good tight connections on the bulb terminals and sockets.

Again any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
I may have solved it. I removed the brake light bulbs on each side and cleaned the contacts on the bulb and the socket. It might just be coincidence, but the problem has gone away. Time will tell.