CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Radio quit working...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK 430 Coupe
Radio quit working...any ideas?

2002 CLK530. Standard radio/cassette changer controller. No "code" prompt, no power, won't even turn on. I've checked the fuses under the hood, radio fuse and sound system fuse are good. Pulled the radio out, fuse in radio is good. Any other ideas? Should I start shopping for an aftermarket deck?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK 430 Coupe
I checked the plugs in back, looks like I'm only getting 12 volt constant. No switched power but then again I'm not entirely sure that's not normal.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
If you're not getting switched power, the radio won't work.

I'd shop for a new deck because the cassette player is archaic, but I'd also look into why switched power is dead.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Some notes on testing for constant and switched power to the radio with a volt meter.

The enclosed thumbnail shows all the radio's connectors and pin assignments.

Measurements are made with the wiring harness plug disconnected from the radio. Be careful in checking for the constant and switched voltages, as the pin assignments on the plug will be the mirror image of the connector.

Constant voltage is checked by connecting the positive meter lead to pin 4 (e.g. battery voltage, circuit 30) and the negative lead to pin 8 (e.g. ground return, circuit 31). Check using harness ground (pin 8) and not some chassis ground, as this verifies that both the supply voltage and ground return wiring are OK. Voltage should measure between 11 and 14 volts. If not, check wiring. If OK, check for switched voltage, as below.

The switched voltage is checked by turning the ignition 'on' and connecting the positive meter lead to pin 7 (e.g. switched battery voltage, circuit 15) and the negative lead to pin 8. If voltage does not shown as between 11 and 14 volts, check fuse E and/or wiring.

If above voltage checks prove OK and the entire radio is not working, there may be an internal fault inside the radio.
Attached Thumbnails Radio quit working...any ideas?-radioconnector.jpg