CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Picked up a 99 CLK320....some questions on issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320 Cab
Picked up a 99 CLK320....some questions on issues

I've had my 1999 CLK 320 for about 3 weeks so far and am really enjoying the spunk this car has. I have been doing mostly "clean-up" stuff from the previous owners, but now I need to dive into the issues with the car and hope some people might have some insight.
My current issues are:
1. Check Engine Light - O2 sensor and EGR valve codes, already replaced O2 and am getting ready to order an EGR...no problem on this stuff.
2. ABS/BAS/ASR lights on - Here I have a bunch of codes...
C1200 - Brake Light Switch - Replaced...easy enough...lol
C1306 - Solenoid Valve RR Increase/Hold Pressure
C1012 - Voltage Supply Circuit 87 over - Low Voltage
C1314 - Voltage Supply Solenoid Valves
C1025 - CAN Signals Brake Light Switch
My Window Washer Tank is leaking and I cannot access the ABS module with the Solus HHT I am using. It comes up with no communication. In reading various posts on the forum, I think the ABS module may be cooked.
3. All AC vents blow air, no matter what setting the control is set to...think this might be tied to next issue too...
4. Door locks are inop - arm the alarm and the lights flash, but does not lock/unlock. Interior lock switch inop as well. Gas door does not lock, either. Think it has something to do with PSE. Battery was replaced not that long ago...is there a reset procedure for the PSE that the previous owner may have overlooked?
5. Rear headrests do not move (red light flashes from time to time). I had to manually retract the headrests, when I purchased the car.
6. Convertible top does not move except for manually (I know this could be due to a number of items...not sure if PSE feeds into this or not).
7. SRS light on - This is due to Passenger Presence Sensor. I saw some modules that can be wired in on eBay that bypass the PPS, but shows for W209 models, not W208 models. Anyone know if this is available for a W208? Would love to wire this in, instead of replacing Sensor.

I know I will come across more items in the near future...lol.

Also, what is popular for an HHT that isn't going to break the bank. I have access at this time to a Snap-On Solus, but would like to get a HHT of my own.

Any directions on what to look for; if you had a similar or same issue, what was your fix; any insight would be appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by Quikzilver; 09-14-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
Congratulations on your purchase! Since you have issues with a lot of important systems, I sure hope you got a sweet deal :-)

Now, about your SRS issue... I would advise you against any tampering with the SRS system. I like to be 100% sure that if needed, the car would turn into the nice big beach ball it was designed to. And I couldn't care less how expensive some sensor may be, if it's what keeps me alive. Just my two cents.

You should know that a whole lot of things in our cars are vacuum operated. This includes your malfunctioning central locking system, rear headrests and AC vent flaps, as well as the trunk opening. Can you open the trunk by pressing the lock or holding the button on the key fob? If that's not the case, your pump is probably out. It's worth trying to disassemble and clean it. I've had a car where a leak has gotten to the pump and one pin in the connector has rusted out completely. If not - a new pump it is.

If you are able to hear the pump go bzzz, that would leave the second possible culprit - a vacuum leak. I'd start by checking the connections right at the pump. If the problem isn't found to be there I'd go to a reputable shop that has a smoke machine or, best of all, the dealer. These cars are extremely tight and my experience says that most mechanics either don't care or are not gentle enough to be trusted around leather and plastics.

Good luck on sorting your issues out and keep us posted!
Old 09-14-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320 Cab
Thanks...yes I got a very sweet deal on the car.

The SRS bypass I saw online was so the car thinks there is someone in the passenger seat all the time, so the airbag system would be on (not off, like it is right now). I'm coming from an 86 Monte Carlo SS that I was driving previously (till motor went South and I needed something inexpensive to drive for the moment). I can easily replace the passenger presence sensor (pad under seat cover), but the cost is a little high for that...although I may look to replace the seats with used seats as the leather is getting a little hard (due to age) and the vacuum lines under the seats are off of their mounting points.

The only way to open the trunk is with the key. Good info on the pump. I don't hear anything right now, so I will start with the vacuum pump.

I'm used to American cars (Corvettes, Camaros, old school classic). This is the second import I have owned (first was a 1986.5 Porsche 944). I will be applying my Master Tech knowledge to this one!!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:43 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
I said that, because I'm not one to take chances. I do believe that (if at all possible) the car will try its best to set off the airbag regardless of any fault codes. However, it will do so with half the pressure.

I think if you're handy with tools, you'll have a blast working on your car.
The following users liked this post:
Quikzilver (09-17-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I would check my battery and alternator first. These cars hate low voltage.