CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My Throttle Control Cable Snapped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430 1993 500 SEC
My Throttle Control Cable Snapped

Hi fellow CLK owners,
I was driving my 2001 CLK 430 when its throttle cable snapped. I was able to drive home by tying a string to it and driving the car home like a puppet, but it is time to drive my car with a gas pedal again! I have the replacement cable for it, MB part 208 300 04 30.

I am at a loss for how to fix this; I've searched forums and found people with the same problem, but no solution. This PDF seems slightly helpful, but it's for a ML. My mechanic says he's never worked on a car where this has happened. Does anyone know of a guide or manual that shows how to replace this or what the procedure is? I'd be very grateful, thanks.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320 Cab
From AllData (reprint from MB manual): (Sorry no pictures...at work doing this.)
1. Disconnect accelerator control cable at ball head (step 1 done, per your picture)
2. Compress plastic clip and pull out of the fixed lever together with accelerator control cable.
3. Remove footwell trim
4. Release accelerator control cable mount at accelerator pedal lever.
5. Push accelerator control cable to the outside from inside the car.
6. Take out accelerator control cable completely, working from the engine compartment.
7. Install in the reverse order.
8. Check accelerator control, adjust.

Adjusting Accelerator Control:
1. Examine ease of movement and condition of relay lever and accelerator control cable.
Adjusting:
2. CTP - The relay lever should be resting against the CTP when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.
3. Turn adjusting nut until relay lever is resting against CTP or until no further accelerator pedal idle travel exists.
4. WOT - Depress accelerator pedal until it is touching the kickdown switch
5. Turn adjusting bolt until relay lever is resting against WOT
6. Inspecting WOT and CTP settings
Old 09-21-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430 1993 500 SEC
Thanks, I'm going to try this soon. I also found online the WIS software which I am told has the assembly and disassembly instructions with diagrams. It's a huge program so it'll take a bit to download.