CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can't refit air intake bellow section after changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Can't refit air intake bellow section after changing spark plugs

To provide access to passenger side coils and plugs, removed the cover of the air filter box, MAF and the bellow section, located between the MAF and the air intake manifold tube, as suggested in this youtube video (e.g. 1:40 time mark).

Note: In the video, separating the bellow from the intake tube was staged (e.g. he had previously pried them apart).

One end of the bellow slips over the MAF and is secured with a large hose clamp, but I can't get the other end fastened onto the air intake manifold tube (e.g. the inside diameter of the bellow is slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the intake tube) .

Seems that the bellow end needs to stretch fit onto the intake tube and secured as a air tight fit, but I have already spent a couple of hours on this w/o success, even trying applying a thin coat of liquid soap.

Anyone know how to get these two items put back together?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Just gave myself a head slap.

Both the air intake tune and bellow mating ends, have internal molded rings, that when properly fitted, secure the 2 pieces together.

On one, the cross section is angled, to allow the molded ring on the other piece to pass over and then securely lock the pieces together.

The procedure to connect the bellows to the air intake tube is:

1. First put the bellow onto the intake tube at the bottom.
2. Then slip the top on and push, until you hear then snap in place.

Notes: Each section has an embossed arrow, start with arrows pointing at each other. The internal retention rings continue around the internal circumferences, for about 330 degrees. Step 1 only secures the 2 parts at 6 o'clock. Use both hands, with the thumbs at 12 o'clock and fingers at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Apply force until you hear both sections securely snap in place.

That's how MB designed it to work.

BTW, when I searched to forum, I didn't feel so dumb. Found many DIYers who after changing their plugs, were also unable to reattach the bellow to the air intake tube. There were some really crazy attempts fix the issue (e.g. various adhesives, tie wraps, duct tape etc.), of which none worked.

Last edited by Serndipity; 10-20-2016 at 07:44 PM.