CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Just droped tranny pan changed filter n fluid now tranny slips. HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clk320 convertible
Just droped tranny pan changed filter n fluid now tranny slips. HELP

HELP. Just droped pan replaced filter and fluid. Did not flush just changed what came out about 4 qts added new fluid mercedes specs fluid. Car has 110k on it ran n shifted fine before. Was just doing recommended maintence now im afraid i ruined my car. Tranny slips and now it threw an check engine light. Going to borrow a code reader tomorrow. HELP any ideas? Should i drop pan again? Do complete flush? I have 2 and 1/4 qut of old fluid left should i put old fluid back in? Should a add tranny slip fluid? What can be done? If im really screwed whats the cost to rebuild?? Its a 2001 clk320 im in central fl beteren ocala and orlando anyone know a tranny shop that is not crazy expensive? If i didnt dobthis routine maintenance my car would not be slipping. As i said it ran fine before no tranny problems. The fluid came out dark. But hardly any particles in fluid just a dark brownish color. Im very upset any ideas whete to go from here?? Thanks you reply here or direct agr8chef@yahoo.com thanks a million guys JOE
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320
do you have a transmission dipstick for the 722.6 transmission to read fluid levels... they go for 5$ on ebay did you use the right fluids and was the work area clean? have you changed your 13 pin connector to the tcu plug in
Old 01-19-2017, 08:20 AM

Clk320 convertible
I have dipstick.....

I have a dipstick that was in car when i purchased car but dont know if its correct one. Did not change the connector but do have one. We used fluid which meets the specs of mercedes fluid. I stopped dt a local shop who works on mercedes and brang him an empty tranny fluid container and he said that fluid was fine. When he opens today hes going to let us borrow hi 250 dipstick and im hoing to check fluid level with that. If fluid level is correct what should i try? Drop the pan again? I was told valvoline maxlife can be used. When we drove car with tranny slipping bad it threw a check engine light. Im borrowing his code reader to today. Thanks any suggestions im lost here
Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Illumination of the "CHECK ENGINE" means that there are corresponding DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Code) in the DTC memory of the engine control module.

Also slippage can be caused by improper installation of the ATF filter (e.g. messing with pressure buildup). Did you use the MB OE filter?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Clk320 convertible
No

Hi thanks for reply
No we used filter that auto supplier said crossed referenced. It looked identical when we swapped. We did not get check engine code untill after we drove the vehicle with the tranny slipping it goes through gears and even reverse but slips really really bad unable to drive basically. Im getting ready to borrow the 250 dollar dipstick the mechanic has at his mercedes repair shop and measure it with that dipstick. Perhaps the one in the car is not correct one since i purchased vehicle used and it was already in place. Im also going to borrow code reader. I will know more in about half hour. If the fluid is correct level what should i do? The wolfhead oil company said they use that fluid in that tranny and it works fine. I contacted them this morning. They said they have never experienced this issue before. The representive said to drop pan again reinspect filter for any debris and fill with Mercedes fluid and see if it makes a difference. He told me he would like a sample of the fluid and if it caused any damage they back their product. But im at a loss right now not really sure where to turn? Someobe else said to put old tranny fluid back in. But i lost over a qt of it and the container i drained it into had had sone water in it although i dumped oyt the water before i drained the fluid into it i fear there may be some left or other debris in there im unaware of. Im open to all suggestions here. As i said it ran and shifted fi e before doing this
thank you so much for all the help and advise
Old 01-20-2017, 08:40 AM

Clk320 convertible
Thanks for all help

We dropped pan again and thete was a piece of plastic stuck in the new tranny filter. Dont know how it got there but we fixed problem thanks again. Now i have problem wiwh fuel pouring out behind rear driverside wheel well NEVER A DULL MOMENT
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The fuel tank vent tubes run to the charcoal canister, which is above the liner in the driver's side wheel well. Pull the wheel and the liner (about 15 minutes work), and you'll probably see what the problem is.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Clk320 convertible
Thanks

Can you believe the brand new fuel filter was bad.. Put the old one back on car runs now unreal...
Old 01-20-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430 cab
You're not driving with the dipstick tool in are you? It's my understanding that you can't leave it in
Old 01-20-2017, 05:03 PM

2007 sl 55 amg 2007 cls
Slipping tranny

my mechanic told me sometime s if the old fluid was really bad and with the new fluid is much more slippery that can cause it to slip
Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
There is no such thing as Mercedes spec fluid, especially if you used max life fluid.
There are some good posts on this site about the fluid issue. If it was not shell 134 or fuchs then you used the wrong stuff.