CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fuel pouring out of left drivers side wheel well after filter change. Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clk320 convertible
Fuel pouring out of left drivers side wheel well after filter change. Help

Please can some HELP. We changed fuel filter yesterday. Drove car about 5 mins car started to bog down but was low on gas then we Ran out of gas a min ir two later we put a few gallons of gas in and drove to gas station to top up and at station noticed gas pouring our of rear drivers side wheel well. HELP. had to tow car to friends house with strap. Now i dont know what to do. Can placing the fule lines on the fule filter wrong cause this? HELP my mechanic who was helping me who replaced the filter is gone. He left last night and will be gone for 6 months this is my only vehicle. NEED TO FIX ASAP myself with minimial knowledge. Can someone walk me through what i need to do and check please and thank you.

Last edited by animal1488; 01-20-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
The fuel filter is not located where you described.

It sounds like something very wrong with the tank but I'll defer to others on that. Get under while running and see if one of the hoses is loose and spraying in that direction.

Please post any resolutions to your problem.
The following users liked this post:
burgca (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 AM

Clk320 convertible
Thanks for help

Originally Posted by cindyclk
The fuel filter is not located where you described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmaJyJ5m7Dg

It sounds like something very wrong with the tank but I'll defer to others on that. Get under while running and see if one of the hoses is loose and spraying in that direction.

Please post any resolutions to your problem.
Problem was a bad fuel filter. Somehow it suckef fuel into the vacuum line. Now tank still will not take more than a few gallons of fuel because it sucked fuel into the breathet tube i assume thats why it was venting or pouring gas behing the drivers side rear wheel well. The mechanic at the shop said it will eventually evaporate. But OMG what a nightmare trying to do preventive maintence and getting another factory defective part.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:21 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
animal1488 in reviewing this post and your prior post you are making many mistakes in your maintenance (transmission, fuel filter, top, etc.) which seem to cause problems that didn't exist prior to the work. I would recommend you review posts on the maintenance prior to attempting any more changes or find a valid independent Benz mechanic to handle the maintenance. Your location isn't on your profile so can't advise on what is available in your area.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by animal1488
Problem was a bad fuel filter. Somehow it suckef fuel into the vacuum line. Now tank still will not take more than a few gallons of fuel because it sucked fuel into the breathet tube i assume thats why it was venting or pouring gas behing the drivers side rear wheel well. The mechanic at the shop said it will eventually evaporate. But OMG what a nightmare trying to do preventive maintence and getting another factory defective part.
sounds more like the mechanic hooked up/messed up the wrong hoses on the filter rather than being a bad filter.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Clk320 convertible
Thats what i thought as well.

I thougjt the same but when i looked under the car i took the original filter and the flow direction the hoses etc were all hooked up identically. He put old folter back on and it ran fine. I brang filter back to auto store and they said that its not unheard of that its a bad filter. They refunded my money.
thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 09:34 AM

Clk320 convertible
Thank you

Originally Posted by burgca
animal1488 in reviewing this post and your prior post you are making many mistakes in your maintenance (transmission, fuel filter, top, etc.) which seem to cause problems that didn't exist prior to the work. I would recommend you review posts on the maintenance prior to attempting any more changes or find a valid independent Benz mechanic to handle the maintenance. Your location isn't on your profile so can't advise on what is available in your area.
I have an indie shop that works on nothing but mainly benz's hes the one who told me to drop the pan again and check for forigen debri in filter and sure enough tjere wss plastic there. Hes also the one who told me to snap a pic of the onstalled bad filter and send it to him. I try and do the maintenance myself due to the fact im on disibility and have limited funds. Im located in central FL and i didnt realize my location is not in my profile i will change that. Thank you for your advice. Which is excellent advice by the way. Have a great day.
Joe
Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by animal1488
Should the problem filling your tank persists, read: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ease-help.html