CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Where is the GPS antenna?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the GPS antenna?

Hi guys, my command is telling me that there are 00 SAT constently. I am hoping this is a just as simple as an gps antenna being loose. However when I pulled off the cover on trunk lid, the antenna seems to be connected well.

Is that the GPS antenna?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
i think the one in the trunk is a back up antenna for the TeleAid/SOS... I believe the COMAND uses the stock antenna on the roof, using a splitter (shared with the Teleaid system)
Old 07-27-2004, 01:39 PM

Thanks Danny, for the CAB the little thing on the trunk lid is the GPS antenna.
I verified with a nice 1 day subscription to the startechinfo.com
You would be right if my car was a hardtop.

I was able to get the signal on last night after messing with the connections. Just hope it stays connected...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
when steve (mbenznl) installed my euro comand he put the gps antenna under the front dash. he just pulled out the instrument cluster and stuck it somewhere back there.

btw, what is that startechinfo.com site?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:19 PM

That's interesting he did that. From experience the GPS antenna has to have a direct line of sight to the sky..... the gps signals are very weak in nature and even heavy rain can sometimes distort the signals. I don't see how a hidden antenna under the dash can be effective.

The starteckinfo.com is a web site that hosts the WIS (Mercedes Workshop info system). That site contains all notes, tech docs and orignal shop manual. It's the source of truth for all mercedes models. It contains detailed step by step on how to dissemble and diagnose mercedes cars.

The only problem is that it is freaking expensive .... it's around $20/day.
I just got a one day subscription and looked up the location of the GPS antenna and other curious items.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
i use to have my gps antenna tucked underneath the rear hat deck, and i never had any problems picking up a solid signal....

I think the rule of thumb is, do not place the gps antenna where it could be blocked by a metalic object....
Old 07-28-2004, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by yuanja888
That's interesting he did that. From experience the GPS antenna has to have a direct line of sight to the sky..... the gps signals are very weak in nature and even heavy rain can sometimes distort the signals. I don't see how a hidden antenna under the dash can be effective.
i get all 8 (or 6 or whatever it is) satellites no problem. no distortions and no problems with rain.

The starteckinfo.com is a web site that hosts the WIS (Mercedes Workshop info system). That site contains all notes, tech docs and orignal shop manual. It's the source of truth for all mercedes models. It contains detailed step by step on how to dissemble and diagnose mercedes cars.

The only problem is that it is freaking expensive .... it's around $20/day.
I just got a one day subscription and looked up the location of the GPS antenna and other curious items.
thanks, i didnt even know about that site.

Originally Posted by mmgrad
I think the rule of thumb is, do not place the gps antenna where it could be blocked by a metalic object.....
i think you are right
Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus

If you are a subscriber to startekinfo ... then look in WIS about "retrofit aps" and then read the official Mercedes instructions on placing the GPS antenna under the dash.

Even if you don't see how it can be effective... it works.

-s-
Old 07-29-2004, 05:48 AM
Banned

Hi guys, my command is telling me that there are 00 SAT constently. I am hoping this is a just as simple as an gps antenna being loose. However when I pulled off the cover on trunk lid, the antenna seems to be connected well.

Is that the GPS antenna?

Thanks.
The GPS antenna is on the roof at the back of the car. Is this a cabrio - then it is behind the instrument cluster or a bubble on the trunk lid.

Depends on the variation.

Last edited by miroj; 07-29-2004 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:41 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. I do have that little bubble on the trunk. I am sure that's my GPS antenna because it has a thin co-ax cable coming out of it which connects to a cable that runs to the command.

For some reason my GPS signal comes in and out. Very spotty. Sometimes i would get 6 sat and few seconds later, 0 sat again. I have cleaned and reconnected the antenna many times and just can't figure out where the bad connection could be.

Does anyone know if the antenna would fail easily? Or do i have a bigger issue with the Command? My command was replaced a year ago under warranty.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Banned

Thanks guys for the responses. I do have that little bubble on the trunk. I am sure that's my GPS antenna because it has a thin co-ax cable coming out of it which connects to a cable that runs to the command.

For some reason my GPS signal comes in and out. Very spotty. Sometimes i would get 6 sat and few seconds later, 0 sat again. I have cleaned and reconnected the antenna many times and just can't figure out where the bad connection could be.

Does anyone know if the antenna would fail easily? Or do i have a bigger issue with the Command? My command was replaced a year ago under warranty.

Thanks
You can replace it with a antenna under the dashboard. That is the "usual" retrofit location suggested by Mercedes.

As you can imagine, opening and closing a trunk lid puts a very small amount of wear on the cable to the antenna. More than on a fixed location antenna. So it could be nothing more than wear on the cable.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM

2003 CLK 430, R33 GTR,
I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if the antenna on the trunk of my 03 W208 CLK430 cabrio is the GPS antenna or for the SOS call system? My car has the single DIN with the numeric pad on the right side. I am going to remove this and have a Kenwood system installed and am trying to figure out exactly what this antenna pod really is. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Did that, signal not that strong as OEM

Originally Posted by miroj
You can replace it with a antenna under the dashboard. That is the "usual" retrofit location suggested by Mercedes.

As you can imagine, opening and closing a trunk lid puts a very small amount of wear on the cable to the antenna. More than on a fixed location antenna. So it could be nothing more than wear on the cable.
Was 1 of the first thing I did to mine since painter BROKE my antenna bought new and no problem 00 SAT's
Anyway installed the under dash antenna it works just fine depending on area, I must admit old OEM is really frk strong it worked even under water lol I say under water because driving from Denmark to Sweden happens under water (Tunnel and is long) anyway under dash well sats lost as well in congrete garage ect I can live with that, second problem I have the Nokia is not working after I change it
(Never using it anyway I dont drive and talk hehe - CALL ME LATER)

Else cheap fix it works and anybody can do it all you need is
1: GPS antenna
2: Dashboard removal tools (Buy them is good to have)
3: GPS removal keys

and your good to go - keep it away from metal hehe impossible dash frame is Metal