CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A shine'nin silver CLK 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 03:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
A shine'nin silver CLK 430

Went to my local high-end auto accs. shop last weekend to check out all the top waxes like klasse, zymol, pinacle, proff. meguairs etc. The salesperson was very knowledgable about all the products and the owner of the shop requires his sales people to try the products on their cars. The sales person told me that the best waxes contain pure carnuba and the best of these have a 40% carnuba content ie; pinnacle paste, but this was quite pricey. I've been using meguiars gold class with good results but wanted more without paying 40-100$ + for wax. Then I remembered I had a bottle of mothers pure carnuba wax (without cleaners) that I had used on a black Porsche I owned in the late 90's and today I decided to wax my silver clk 430. The stuff was easy to apply and a little difficult to remove(the stuff really sticks to the paint) but wow what a shine! I had just waxed the car with the meguiars about two weeks ago and was very happy but this stuff was truly excellent! The difference is remakable. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post some pics.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
If your looking for professional detailing products at a good price.

Top of the Line "Trade Secret" Carnauba Wax is so near perfection, it's hard to believe. Every application is flawless, even on black! Lavish amounts of Brazilian Carnauba bathe the paint in a slick, wet-look gloss. Trade Secret wipes on and off in seconds with absolutely no hazing or streaking.

This remarkable wax may be layered for optimal effect and durability. Show vehicles are commonly layered with 15 to 20 coats, with each layer deepening the color. You'll never use another wax on black vehicles.

"Trade Secret" is designed exclusively for Top of the Line by Pinnacle Products. A truly unique blend of their finest wax formulas. Each jar will provide 30 to 50 applications, and is quite reasonably priced. (8 oz. jar with foam applicator.)

http://www.topoftheline.com/toltradcarwa.html
Old 05-05-2002, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
NU FINISH car polish anyone!?

I have been using NU FINISH car polish since 1985.

It is synthetic; is easy to apply, and I do it twice a year. The car is garaged and
I use brushless car wash.

Even service advisor at the MB dealership wanted to know the secret of my exotic polish...

NU FINISH in the orange dispenser is $6,- enough for 4 applications!

Pep Boys, Autozone, Discount Auto etc. sell it.

http://www.autobarn.net/chnf-76.html
Old 05-05-2002, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
i know a guys who waxes his audi TT every friday!

when he bought it, the color was red. Now its ORANGE !!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2002, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Ahmed
i know a guys who waxes his audi TT every friday!

when he bought it, the color was red. Now its ORANGE !!!!!!!!
...and the guy that polishes his avocado colour car everyday?

His car is now GUNMETAL GRAY!
Old 05-05-2002, 11:34 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by karl k
NU FINISH car polish anyone!?

I have been using NU FINISH car polish since 1985.

It is synthetic; is easy to apply, and I do it twice a year. The car is garaged and
I use brushless car wash.

Even service advisor at the MB dealership wanted to know the secret of my exotic polish...

NU FINISH in the orange dispenser is $6,- enough for 4 applications!

Pep Boys, Autozone, Discount Auto etc. sell it.

http://www.autobarn.net/chnf-76.html
Karl,

From all I've been told the highest quality carnuba seems to be the best. You would have to imagine that with all the advances in polymers that there must be some great synthetics but the natural way so far seems best. I think there may even be a blend with the best quality carnuba and polymers. By the way I'm not a big fan of brush less car washes for three reasons 1) they can trap the dirt from the previous X number of cars in/on the washing strips and rub it into your car 2) the detergents used are still much harsher than what we can buy at the local auto shop 3) I like doing it myself as I know I won't screw it up(less of a chance of collateral damage) and I enjoy cleaning my car
Old 05-05-2002, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by RJC
Karl,

From all I've been told the highest quality carnuba seems to be the best. You would have to imagine that with all the advances in polymers that there must be some great synthetics but the natural way so far seems best. I think there may even be a blend with the best quality carnuba and polymers. By the way I'm not a big fan of brush less car washes for three reasons 1) they can trap the dirt from the previous X number of cars in/on the washing strips and rub it into your car 2) the detergents used are still much harsher than what we can buy at the local auto shop 3) I like doing it myself as I know I won't screw it up(less of a chance of collateral damage) and I enjoy cleaning my car
RJC:

I would love to be able to wash my own car, but the condo regs do not permit this.

Why a vegetable wax obtained from the leaves of the Carnauba Palm from tropical forests is superior to a synthetic concoction is baffling...

But, then one must consider, that 70 % of pharmaceuticals trace their origin to the tropical forest.

...and our favorite S. Florida MB dealership offers the "unlimited" free car washes for its customers, which are brushless, that's what they tell me in Pompano Beach.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:05 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

RJC:

I would love to be able to wash my own car, but the condo regs do not permit this.

Why a vegetable wax obtained from the leaves of the Carnauba Palm from tropical forests is superior to a synthetic concoction is baffling...

But, then one must consider, that 70 % of pharmaceuticals trace their origin to the tropical forest.

...and our favorite S. Florida MB dealership offers the "unlimited" free car washes for its customers, which are brushless, that's what they tell me in Pompano Beach.
Karl,

Not being able to wash your baby su@%$. I used to live in a few different beach front condos in Ft Laud and fortunately the buildings always had car wash spots.

I'm not sure where you may live but there is a great hand car wash on east commercial blvd called the Auto Spa. BTW it's a good idea to let your brakes cool down a bit prior to having cold water sprayed directly on to them as if the brakes have been used hard or at high speeds the cold water could warp the rotors a bit.

I guess God still creates the best products whether it may be natural compounds for medicines or car wax

RJC[B]
Old 05-07-2002, 08:23 PM

2000 CLK 430
Is there such of a thing as washing and waxing too much?
"Even with natural products"
Old 05-07-2002, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by BroadSt Bully
Is there such of a thing as washing and waxing too much?
"Even with natural products"
Never too much say the product manufacturers; use synthetics and save the rain forest say the environmentalists; never too much say the Zainoist.

For myself, 2-3 Nufinish polish applications annually keep my MB looking wet.

Each application/treatment takes 30 minutes.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Out Of Control!

...and the guy that polishes his avocado colour car everyday?

His car is now GUNMETAL GRAY!
lol!
Old 05-07-2002, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Thumbs up

Nice thread!

Do those touchless car washes strip off much wax? The one I go to uses so much force that I'm reluctant to use a really good wax because it might just strip it off after a few washes. Comments?
Old 05-07-2002, 11:15 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pigman
Nice thread!

Do those touchless car washes strip off much wax? The one I go to uses so much force that I'm reluctant to use a really good wax because it might just strip it off after a few washes. Comments?

I would find a hand car wash or if you can wash your car yourself with a good car wash shampoo.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:01 AM

2000 CLK 430
I heard high pressure hoses break down your clear coat. Any truth to this?
Old 05-08-2002, 10:02 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by BroadSt Bully
I heard high pressure hoses break down your clear coat. Any truth to this?
If you are refering to the coin operated hand held high pressure hoses that may be true. If you aim one of these things close to the ground it can peel the painted floor away quite easily. I have heard that these things can remove some of the waxed finish. I think a regular hose, bucket, some mild car wash soap,soft 100% cotton towels and a nice spot out of the sun is the way to go for me.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:25 PM

2000 CLK 430
Here's somethjng I found on the net to share

Save your car's finish and $$$ with these professional tips

Q: I wash my car at home using a garden hose. Lately, the finish looks dull and marked. What could be wrong?

A: Washing your car at home is harmful to your car's finish. Studies prove that a single home hand-wash can leave scratches in the finish as deep as 1/10 of the paint's total thickness.

Also, the average garden hose cannot supply enough water and water pressure with the detergent action to avoid damaging a car's finish. Only a professional car wash can provide the proper amounts of water, water pressure and the appropriate cleaning solutions to clean your car safely and effectively.

Q: Isn't rain a natural, cost-effective car wash?

A: No! Rain and snow contain acid that eats away at the paint and finish of vehicles. After acid rain (moisture with trapped dirt and pollution) falls on a car, the water evaporates, but the acid (dirt and pollution) remains.

Concentrated by sunlight, this acid can become so strong that it will "eat" through the finish, ruining the vehicle's paint and appearance.

Q: Is it true that my new car shouldn't be washed or waxed for a certain period of time?

A: This may have been true a long time ago, but with the new modern acrylics and enamels, your new car's finish needs tender care immediately.

Be careful to wash your car properly. Most new cars are treated with a clear coat finish. It's important that you exercise extreme care - especially when washing your new car for the first few times.

Many initial washing errors result in water spots, setting stains and loss of luster. Without the benefit of protective coating layers that your car will receive over the years, mistakes made during the first few washes may not be correctable.

Should you decided to wax your car, use a wax that's compatible with your paint. Check your owner's manual and the wax's label for instructions. The best advice is to trust your car's finish to a professional from the beginning.

Q: Aren't hand washings safer for my car and the environment.

A: No. Dirt that collects in wash water, sponges and chamois will scratch the paint. Hand washings use nearly twice the amount of water than professional car washes.

Cleaning solutions professional washes use are biodegradable and safe for the environment. Also, high-pressure water at self-serve and professional washes clean cars better and faster.

Also, professional car washes dispose of waste water correctly; waste water off driveways usually ends up in the water supply and pollutes lakes and streams.

Q: If my car has a high-gloss "clear coat" finish, do I still need to wax it?

A: Yes. Most new cars have a high-gloss clear coat finish that is easily damaged from acid rain. The sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays, salt, and road wear and tear also damage cars.

Wax is an effective and efficient way to shine and protect a car's finish. Wax your car every six months.

More frequent waxes are needed if your car is red, black or white because these colors are more susceptible to acid rain and UV rays.

Q: Does it really help a car's value to keep its finish looking new?

A: Yes. Appearance is the first thing that people look for in a used car. If a car's finish turns buyers off, it's virtually impossible to get a good price - no matter how well the car runs.

The car that is noticeably rusted, dull and spotty will sell for significantly less than the same car with a showroom finish. Proper care of the car's appearance will definitely pay off at trade-in time.

Q: Why does my car ride better after I've had my car washed? Am I imagining it?

A: Not at all! Actually, it's very simple. Dirt and grime collect in the areas around your car's wheels. The concentrated spray at professional car washes loosens and rinses the grime, giving you a smoother ride. The spray also helps prevent rust inside the wheel wells - the most difficult type of rust to stop. In addition, tests show that a properly cleaned and waxed car has less wind resistance resulting in a smoother ride and improved fuel economy.

Q: How often should I have my car washed?

A: If your car is exposed to corrosive materials like salt, sand and industrial fallout, it should be washed often. None of these elements should be allowed to sit on your car's finish for more than 24 hours.

The same goes for vehicles in areas with high humidity. Moisture attracts contaminants and promotes a variety of chemical reactions that can destroy your car's finish. Frequent washing is essential to the life of your car's chrome and painted surfaces.

In seasons or climates less conducive to corrosion, a wash every two weeks or so is adequate. In areas with acid rain, a wash every ten days is advised. Of course, these estimates may vary depending upon whether your car is kept in a garage or out in the elements.

Q: What kind of car wash will do a good job of cleaning my car?

A: Any professional car wash - full-serve or self-serve - can effectively clean your car without damaging it.

There are several kinds of professional car washes using variations of touchless, semi-touchless, cloth or brush methods of cleaning. In any case, high-pressure water and detergents are used to remove dirt and other potentially damaging particles from your car's finish, wheel wells and undercarriage. A final fresh water rinse leaves cars spot-free. Blowers or towel-drying remove excess water from the car.

Q: Periodically, I notice a layer of residue on my car's finish. Is it from the atmospere? Is it harmful?

A: What you are referring to are black particles that come from areas of heavy traffic. They are gritty, abrasive substances that come off tires as they wear.

Also, chemicals from diesel smoke and other emissions in the atmosphere settle on your car's surface. If this residue isn't removed immediately, permanent damage to the finish can result.

Q: When should I wash off insect residue?

A: As soon as possible, especially if the car is new. Insect residue and bird droppings form acids that immediately start to eat away a car's finish.

Q: What is the major cause of rust?

A: Rust is simply the oxidation of untreated metal surfaces when they contact the elements. Moisture is the main cause of rust. Since dirt attracts and traps moisture, a dirty car is the instigator of almost all car rust, especially in those hidden areas behind the chrome and trim.

Only a professional car wash operator has the equipment and know-how to effectively reach all those hard-to-reach places and remove corrosion-producing grime before damage is done.

Q: How can I keep my whitewall tires looking like whitewalls?

A: Don't use scouring pads to clean whitewalls. They deteriorate the whitewall surface. A self-service car wash in most cases provides whitewall cleaner and the proper wash pressure to clean the tires. Or, you can go to a full-service car wash where they will clean the whitewalls for you.

Q: Lately, my windshield smears when I run my wipers. What am I doing wrong?

A: Perhaps you haven't changed your wiper blades recently. Most manufacturers recommend installing new blades every three months. This will prevent wearing and smearing, which impairs your vision dangerously.

Q: What if I don't have the time or money to wash and wax my car regularly?

A: You can't afford not to protect your investment! A professional car wash offers safe, fast, high-quality washes at affordable prices.

For more information on how to clean and care for your car, visit www.carwashes.com.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:13 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I completely disagree with the part about home washing. If you do it right you won't do any damage where on the contrary most damage is done at the machine based car washes just check with their insurance companies. I certainly would not want my car to be following in a SUV covered with sand and grit which can get caught in the "brushless" pads as they are not rinsed totally clean from car to car, or let alone after 100 cars have gone through before me earlier in the day! I've been washing my own cars for over 20 years and they all look great with no scratches from washing by hand. My personal attention to detail and using the best materials etc. ensures a great result and I enjoy doing it. The info listed sounds like it may have originally come from machine based car wash assc etc. Rolls Royce/Bentley has a chauffers course on caring for their cars and machine washing is a strict no no, the steps to wash and or polish a car are incredible. For those who have no choice or area to wash themselves or just don't want to I would take my car to a hand wash place that does it right. Want to go to a machine wash that's fine with me as long as it's not my car

RJC

Last edited by RJC; 05-08-2002 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:43 PM

2000 CLK 430
I completely agree hand washing at home is the best plus what car wash attendent is going to take better interest in your car than you.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

what car wash attendent is going to take better interest in your car than you. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well said.

RJC
Old 05-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I go to the local car wash and :

1.- Wet the car with "High pressure soap"
2.- "Foam brush"
3.- "High pressure wax"
4.- "High pressure rinse"
5.- hand dry it
6.- detail wheels by hand
7.- vaccum
7.1.- open and close doors, trunk and hood a few times to shake excess of water trapped in cracks
8.- clean door cracks, doors, trunk cracks and hood cracks.
9.- clean inside and outside windows
10.- clean dashboard and other vinil parts
11.- go home
12.- dry again water that splashed after some driving (it always happens)
13.- clean seats
14.- take a shower and enjoy my car.

pretty much that is it! unless I'm waxing it, I ususally wax it two times the same day, first wax removes a lot of hidden dirt (so it really doesn't wax much), second wax does give me really good results.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:26 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pocholin
I go to the local car wash and :

1.- Wet the car with "High pressure soap"
2.- "Foam brush"
3.- "High pressure wax"
4.- "High pressure rinse"
5.- hand dry it
6.- detail wheels by hand
7.- vaccum
7.1.- open and close doors, trunk and hood a few times to shake excess of water trapped in cracks
8.- clean door cracks, doors, trunk cracks and hood cracks.
9.- clean inside and outside windows
10.- clean dashboard and other vinil parts
11.- go home
12.- dry again water that splashed after some driving (it always happens)
13.- clean seats
14.- take a shower and enjoy my car.

pretty much that is it! unless I'm waxing it, I ususally wax it two times the same day, first wax removes a lot of hidden dirt (so it really doesn't wax much), second wax does give me really good results.
Since you go this route you may want to clean the foam brush with the high pressure spray before placing it on your car to remove any residual dirt from the last guy. Also don't place the high pressure spray to close to the finish. I would also use the rinse mode first vs soap first especially since your car may be hot from driving and or the sun when you get there.

RJC
Old 05-09-2002, 09:44 PM

I just waxed my car with the mother's pure carnuaba wax. It was kind of tough to take off, but the results were very good. The car looks gorgeous, and its sooooooooo smooth lol
too bad it took me like 3hrs. I am doing something wrong?

Mark D.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
its 5 am right now and looking forward to our waxing session 2mrrow. I'm gonna really do it this time, even the muffler section is gonna glitter!!!

if u think 3 hrs is alot, i spend a good 5 hrs on my baby. But then again, i have nothin better to do on fridays! ( our weekends are thurs and fri)
Old 05-09-2002, 10:31 PM

2000 CLK 430
Mother's Wax is not a bad wax; however, If you want the best paste wax buy "Trade Secret" or pay more for the best wax and buy Pinnacle which is the same thing. I have let Trade Secret stay on for a week, because I missed a spot and it came Right off.

Now I don't own a supercharger, but I have the bomb WAX!!!!!!

Last edited by BroadSt Bully; 05-09-2002 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
And for what it's worth, vacuum your car mats instead of just shaking/beating them out, like I used to do. Vacuuming gets the sand out better and makes the mats last longer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A shine'nin silver CLK 430