CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My CLK won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My CLK won't start

ARGH, my '00 CLK430 Coupe is going into the shop for the third time tomorrow because it randomly decides it won't start. The dealer says the final code the key transmits to send fuel and start the engine isn't going through properly, and they ordered a new key and ignition lock, which was installed last week. 6 times now, including yesterday and today, I've been stranded for over and hour while my car refused to start. Twice I've been towed to a dealership, and the other times the car finally started.

My questions are: MBtech- have you seen/heard of anything like this before, and if so, what was the solution?

And about the lemon law- should I bring this up with Mercedes? The number of times I've been stuck with an undrivable car is ridiculous, and soon it will have been in the shop for 3 weeks because of this problem. Any suggestions?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ando

I'm assuming your bringing this into the downtown MB dealer? Here's what i would suggest. Talk to whoever is the supervisor there and tell them exactly what's been going on. And then see if the lemon law applies to your vehicle since this is xx of times you've encountered this problem and see what they have to say. If that doesn't work try calling their headquarter office in NJ.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:09 AM

2001 CLK 320
Smart Key

I understand that Smart Keys are causing problems. Forget about starting the car, mine wouldn't unlock the door. It just started giving me problems for no apparent reason. Until I had it replaced, I was in the habit of carrying two keys. I'm pretty sure MB addressed a number of issues with a new batch of keys. I'm sure you got one of the new ones, but just check of see if the first digits of the key code are 221. There may be other new batch numbers but 221 is one of the new ones. Then again, the MY 2000 keys may be different than the MY 2001.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:56 PM

Well like I said, they just ordered and installed a new ignition lock and a new set of keys, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

I'm going to look into the lemon law and how it applies to my POS.