CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2005/06 CLK500 Options Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:07 PM
HJR
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK350
Smile 2005/06 CLK500 Options Questions

I am planning to buy a 2005 or 2006 CLK500 on Wednesday of this week.

I originally was going to get the following must options::

Navigation (DVD Command) System
Lightening Package (I understand that adaptive head lights will be available on the 2006 CLK - a feature I would want).
Drivers multicontour seat

Later on I thought the following would be options I would also want.

Keyless Go (1)
Hands-free Communication System (2)
Parktronic parking assistant
Active ventilated front seats with heated seats (3)

However

(1)-A salesman said that the once you start your car with Keyless Go, the regular key is needed to operate other car functions and that it is more inconvenient than convenient.

(2) At another dealership, a salesman told me not to order the Hands-free Communication System because Mercedes was having a lot of problems with this option.

(3) Lastly, I met a man who owned a 2004 CLK 5000. He was very happy with the “Parktronic” option but was not happy with the “Active ventilated front seats with heated seats”. He said that people complained about the ventilation - that it was unnatural and so he no longer uses it.

The exterior of the car will be Brilliant Silver with a black top and either ash or silver interior. Two people told me that the charcoal seats were not a good option in climates like here in Florida and strongly advised against it.

If anyone has these options would you let me know the pros & cons of them and whether or not you would reorder them? I picked the contour seats because I have sporadic back pain and thought these seats would be the better choice – am I correct in my assumption?

Also I was wondering if any or all the options I have discussed have to be installed at the factory?

Thank you all in advance for any advice you may provide.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:03 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Congrats to you!

Couple of important things to consider:

1) The MY 2006 will be the last of the W209 body style as in MY 2007 the new car appears.

2) Keyless go is an excellent option and the statement the saelsperson made is not true.

3) I had parktronic on my 03 CLK 500 and could have lived without it, but your type of parking and needs should have the most influence on that decision.

4) Make sure the car you buy has Michelins, they are more costly and a better tire than the Pirellis, Conti etc that come as standard equipment.

5) Active seats have been discountinued in other MB models for 06, not sure about the CLK's

6) I live in South Flrida and would HIGHLY recommend a darker interior, as I've owned charc, ash and stone and as pretty as stone and ash are, they're a pain in the a$$ to keep clean! Also go for the dark top.

7) The multi contour seats have lumbar which may help with your back pain.

8) There have been recent transmission failures due to coolant contamination in 03- brand new 05 CLK's; I'd insist on a production range for affected cars from Germany before buying any new CLK.

Where are you located in Fl and what dealer are you working with.

I hope the above info is helpful to you .
Old 05-22-2005, 05:44 PM
HJR
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK350
Smile Thanks for the Quick & Informative Responce

Yes the information you gave me was very helpful. I live in Deltona between Orlando & Daytona Beach. I have been to the 3 dealerships here in east central florida and to the Naples dealership.

You said "There have been recent transmission failures due to coolant contamination in 03- brand new 05 CLK's; I'd insist on a production range for affected cars from Germany before buying any new CLK." When you say insist on a production range for affected cars - why did you say that, I really don't understand? I guess you mean that I will have the production numbers of the cars that are affected & then ask that my car not be one of those? I am wondering why wouldn't Mercedes fix the problem on those cars that are affected before they sell them to the public? Have I misunderstood you?

Also why do you say that Keyless Go is an excellant option?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:13 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HJR
Yes the information you gave me was very helpful. I live in Deltona between Orlando & Daytona Beach. I have been to the 3 dealerships here in east central florida and to the Naples dealership.

You said "There have been recent transmission failures due to coolant contamination in 03- brand new 05 CLK's; I'd insist on a production range for affected cars from Germany before buying any new CLK." When you say insist on a production range for affected cars - why did you say that, I really don't understand? I guess you mean that I will have the production numbers of the cars that are affected & then ask that my car not be one of those? I am wondering why wouldn't Mercedes fix the problem on those cars that are affected before they sell them to the public? Have I misunderstood you?

Also why do you say that Keyless Go is an excellant option?
Only MB knows when they began (or if they even have) to correct the transmission/coolant issue, and should have the dates of production for when the issue has been addresed. So I would ask the dealer's service dept to have the regional rep find out the status of this issue...be prepared for lots of double talk though.

Keyless go is great as you don't need the key to open loocked doors or even the trunk, it's also very cool to hit the start button, plus no need to fumble around for the key.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:39 PM
HJR
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK350
Your idea about asking the service dept sounds like a good idea and I will talk to the service dept and I will expect double talk.

Did you have a convertibe when you had charcoal seats - I spoke to two people about charcoal seats. A woman who had the cabriolet said she had charcoal seats and was so unhappy with charcoal that she ordered ash interior. She stated that she could not go to the beach with the top down because it would be too hot.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ash and stone gets filthy period, if you're worried about too much heat on the seat when going to the beach etc get some matching colored towels to put on the seat bottoms. BTW I used to drive a triple black Carrera Cab.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
Congrats to you!

Couple of important things to consider:

1) The MY 2006 will be the last of the W209 body style as in MY 2007 the new car appears.
Is there a valid confirmation that the CLK Class is going to be remodeled in 2007?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:05 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

From everything I know and read; yes.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:12 PM
HJR
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK350
After I made the last post I too thought along the same lines as your towel idea. So here is hoping I make a decision on Wed. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:37 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HJR
After I made the last post I too thought along the same lines as your towel idea. So here is hoping I make a decision on Wed. Thanks again.
You're welcome and congrats! Don't forget the Michelin's...
Old 05-23-2005, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Keyless go is AWESOME! I love it on mine!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:30 AM
HJR
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK350
TV DVD in motion - Reverse Camera

What is "TV DVD in motion - Reverse Camera"?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by HJR
What is "TV DVD in motion - Reverse Camera"?
I have a DVD player that is fully intergrated with my command system and it plays while the car is in motion, hence "DVD in motion". And I also have a reverse camera intergrated with the command so when i put the car in reverse, the reverse camera will show up on my command....

I highly recommend you get as many options as possible as it will be a pain in the A$$ to have it retro fitted in ur car later.....
Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 AM

sold.
I agree w/ Christian too. Keyless GO is the BOMB! Now I get pissed when I have to take my key out of my pocket to drive other ppl's cars. About them saying that you still have to use the key for other features, I don't know what the hell they're talking about. I've never taken my key out of my pocket unless it's to give to the Valet Guy. I hope there's not any features I'm missing by not putting my key into the car!
Old 05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
HJR
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK350
"reverse camera intergrated with the command" this feature is not from Mercedes is it. The reason I say that is because I have never seen it in any of their literature or at their site. I am fairly certain another manufacture has it.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HJR
"reverse camera intergrated with the command" this feature is not from Mercedes is it. The reason I say that is because I have never seen it in any of their literature or at their site. I am fairly certain another manufacture has it.

Hahaha no its not an option. Its custom.......
Old 05-24-2005, 02:36 PM

360 Spider
I would never get a convertible with black leather seats.
1) They will burn your A$$ with the top down
2) They make the interior look small with the top down

I had a silver SC430 and had to decide between black leather and ecru (off-white) leather. I chose ecru, took care of it and it was the best choice I made. Also, get the black soft-top.

Must have options on the CLK:
Navi - come on, its a Benz
Xenons - should be standard but get them
Keyless Go - should be standard, overpriced but fun option
CD changer - absolute must

Why get aBenz if you can't afford the options - many people do this. I would rather have a fully loaded E class than a base S class